What's new

Disney+ Audio issues with IMAX enhanced on Disney + (1 Viewer)

John Wachter

Auditioning
Last month I watched Shang Chi and the10 Rings on Disney +. 5.1 system here. When I looked at details before watching it listed the Imax enhanced version and also 4kUHD. I selected IMAX enhanced, and thought the audio was lacking. Little rear speaker action and not much from the subwoofer. I checked it against the theatrical 4K version, and the difference was like night and day. Lots going on in the rear channels and impressive sound from the sub.

Anyone have an idea why this would be?

John Wachter

Auditioning
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX104 which has Atmos (I don't currently use), DTS X etc but no mention of IMAX. But from what I understand, IMAX enhanced audio should be DTS X

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Explanations of IMAX Enhanced are annoyingly cryptic. However, you do appear to need a certified receiver/processor to get whatever supposed audio benefits, according to the official web site.

The problem is, I've never seen anything anywhere that says anything meaningful about what it is. It's all very mysterious. I suspect it's just marketing bs.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Disney+ is pushing the video benefits of "IMAX Enhanced," with titles that are so designated featuring any IMAX scenes in the film in their original theatrical 1.90:1 AR. There is no IMAX Enhanced audio available for any of these titles, per their FAQ:

"Please note that other IMAX Enhanced features and functionality are not currently available on Disney+."

So, whatever audio deficiencies there might be are probably errors on Disney's end.

John Wachter

Auditioning
Disney+ is pushing the video benefits of "IMAX Enhanced," with titles that are so designated featuring any IMAX scenes in the film in their original theatrical 1.90:1 AR. There is no IMAX Enhanced audio available for any of these titles, per their FAQ:

"Please note that other IMAX Enhanced features and functionality are not currently available on Disney+."

So, whatever audio deficiencies there might be are probably errors on Disney's end.

That would make the most sense.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

What a joke.

I'm more convinced than ever this is nothing more than another THX, licensing (mostly) scam.

dpippel

Premium
Real Name
Doug
What a joke.

I'm more convinced than ever this is nothing more than another THX, licensing (mostly) scam.
Well, I have to disagree. The IMAX Enhanced titles on D+ do feature the very real addition of IMAX ratio 4K video, which IMO is a great tangible benefit. THX offered nothing comparable and was mostly just branding.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I have to disagree. The IMAX Enhanced titles on D+ do feature the very real addition of IMAX ratio 4K video, which IMO is a great tangible benefit. THX offered nothing comparable and was mostly just branding.
Because they do license hardware as "IMAX Enhanced" which is completely unnecessary to take advantage of that benefit. Plus, those movies are probably all available that way on disc already, without the IMAX Enhanced moniker.

dpippel

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Because they do license hardware as "IMAX Enhanced" which is completely unnecessary to take advantage of that benefit. Plus, those movies are probably all available that way on disc already, without the IMAX Enhanced moniker.
There are some similarities to be sure, but THX offered exactly nothing hardware-wise except for a preset "approved" surround setup on some "certified" receivers, which you could have easily set up yourself anyway. At least IMAX Enhanced audio is something real:

"IMAX Mode activates a variation of the DTS:X immersive audio format that closely matches the surround sound experience in IMAX cinemas. IMAX Mode can adapt to deliver immersive surround sound, including overhead effects from a variety of speaker setups."

Whether or not there's an actual benefit is debatable. As for the video that D+ is providing, it's the only streaming service where you can get that IMAX footage on those titles AFAIK. Whether or not they're available on disc with IMAX footage (many are not) is irrelevant IMO, since they're two different delivery pipelines that in many cases serve two different types of customers. If I wanted to, I could buy a single month of D+ for $8 and binge every IMAX Enhanced title on the service. That would save me a lot of money in disc purchases if I didn't already own the physical copies.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This could go on forever, but I've expressed my points and have better ways to spend my time.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Disney have been limiting IMAX formatted films to Disney+ so not on disc, but again it is only a different aspect ratio.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
dunno about modern thx… but traditional thx certificates require stringent quality before they stamp the logo on there.

the imax business is exactly what is being referred to as branding. imax is trying to make $ and will prostitute their logo on anything to make a buck. google liemax for examples

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
The only thing I’ve noticed on audio is Any movie that has Atmos has a lower audio track and I need to turn it up. Denon.

Deanmad

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a duck. That is what the guy is in the above Fumo video. Imax enhanced is totally different from anything else you have seen or listened to. First the picture is vastly improved and the audio is sent not in higher volume but different bits of audio to your individual speakers. The problem with those who think it is a gimmick have not seen or listened on a complete imax enhanced system. You must have a imax enhanced projector or tv and a imax enhanced receiver. The problem was Sony did not make all the imax enhanced movies on disc as was promised. So you only had 8-10 disc to watch. However now that they put Bravia core on some of their newer flagship tvs you have a good number of imax enhanced movies to watch. If you still think it is smoke and mirrors go and buy the Sony a90j tv hook it up to a good imax enhanced receiver and you will see what you have been missing. Sure it’s expensive but you get what you pay for. Remember you get nothing for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegekko77
Recent bookmarks