Audio Issue with DVR and Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by AamanL, Feb 11, 2004.

1. AamanL

AamanL Auditioning

Hi all,

I'm a 'newbie' in the Home Theater world, although I've learnt more than I might have were it not for this great site.

I recently setup my Yamaha YHT-100, following standard directions.

Here is what's connected to the receiver:
    XBox (digital audio & video) - used also as a dvd/media center)
    Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 8000 DVR (TimeWarner provided digital cable box) - connected with both analog and digital coax audio to the receiver, antenna video to TV
    Flat screen 20" TV
    the 5.1 speakers provided with the HTIB

Everything seems to be working just fine and sounds great.

There is one situation where I find the audio reproduction is choppy. When I record a Dolby Digital movie from HBO onto the DVR, say Daredevil, and watch it from the DVR, the audio from the front speakers is choppy, and does not render correctly.

Here's what makes this interesting: if I watch the same movie as it plays, "live", the audio is rendered perfectly across all channels. The same is true if I watch the movie from the HBO on Demand channel. Also, there is no problem with the audio watching a Dolby Digital movie from say, Cinemax or Showtime, even from the DVR.

Why could this be happening and what can I do about it?

2. JasonMilch

JasonMilch Extra

Seems like if it's just happening on specific channels then it may be a problem with the way your DVR is handling the specific audio format that channel uses. You should try movies from other channels and see if you have the same trouble. That will narrow things down a bit.

3. JasonMilch

JasonMilch Extra

Sorry, you already said it's only on HBO. I guess I'm a bit stumped and will defer to the real experts.