Audio interconnects on a budget

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by donovan_chin, Aug 10, 2001.

1. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Okay.. here's the deal. I would love to get some silvercats or bettercables RCA audio interconnects. Unfortunately, I can't afford any of the above at this moment.
    So, what other cables would be good for a DVD-audio 6ch system? Would the Acoustic Research Pro series cables meet the performance requirements? I think that Monster Cables are way overpriced.
    Thanks

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Acoustic Research, Recoton and Pheonix Gold make pretty good quality cables for half of what you'd pay for Monster (at least).
    Try http://emptronics.store.yahoo.com/index.html and do some looking around. They've got some of the best prices I've been able to find on mid grade cables.

3. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Yes, the AR Pro series cables would work great for you. I usually get mine from AVConnect.com .

4. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I like the AR Pro cables also, also try http://www.accessories4less.com as an internet source, or Sears as a local source.
    ------------------
    - Wes
    My Home Theater
    The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If your goal is to ensure faithfull signal transmission, AR and the other suggestions above will adequately fit the bill. http://www.partsexpress.com

6. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

A fellow HTF member has offered to make me cables based on kustomkables design. Using Canare cables and connectors. Great price too. Any inputs on this?

7. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Canare is good stuff... If carefully made, I'd say they'd be as good if not better than the high-end monster cables!
    BTW, may I ask who offered to make them for you? I'm also interested in DYI canare, although for the amount of cable I'm looking for I don't think it would be worth it for me to buy all the tools.

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I made cables with soldered connections (see my Equipment List below). Soldering is not for everyone, but if you can do it, you can make your own cables much cheaper than the Canares, especially if you only need a few. Not to mention, if the Canare cable ever fails, the RCA connector goes in the trash can. Soldered RCAs are repairable ad infinitum.
    Anyone with an eye for detail and the ability to do intricate work can solder. For the price of one Canare crimping tool, you can get all the tools you need to solder. And, you will find numerous opportunities to use the soldering equipment in the future.
    For instance, I got tired of replacing batteries in my garage door remote, so I wired it to my car’s fuse block. Equally irritating was that it was on the wrong side of the sun visor half the time, so I hard-wired a convenient “remote” switch mounted in the dash. I couldn’t have done any of this without my soldering equipment.
    By comparison, what are you going to do with that expensive crimper after you’ve made your Canare cables?
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

------------------
    My Equipment List