What's new

Audio Interconnects, Locking Connectors, and Frequent Swapping (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I may be going into SACD and/or DVD-Audio soon (will be auditioning). If I like both formats and require two separate source players for these (not many combined, quality players out yet), I would like to avoid having to buy 18 decent quality cables + one or 2 switch boxes to accommodate only one set of mchannel inputs on my pre/pro.

One thought I had was to get one 6-channel set of interconnects and swap them between source players. I figure that can hold me until some time in the not-to-distant-future I can either get a good quality source that supports both formats or there is a digital out standard for at least one of them. Since I don't get a lot of time to listen to my system, I figure I won't be swapping interconnects within a single listening session.

My questions:

- Would such a strategy put undue wear and tear on the cable connectors, source player connects, or both?

- Should I go with interconnects that don't have locking connectors (due to the hassle of unlocking / locking in order to swap)? I am currently using Outlaw's PCA interconnects on all my equipment,; their locking connectors are a bear to deal with when tightening / untightening, although they're very affordable in my book. Are the catcables as difficult to deal with?

- Any other suggestions for interconnects that meet these needs, assuming it's not a bad idea wear and tear-wise to do this? I wouldn't mind spending $150+ on 6 interconnects (which is double the Outlaw's price). I do have a revealing system (separates, planar ribbon speakers). I haven't experimented with other interconnects, and in the near term really don't want to spend time playing around with 4 different brands to determine what sounds best.

Edit: Dealing with 1/2 meter length.

Thanks.

Doug

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Doug,

I use Catcables throughout my system. All of them have the WBT locking rcas which I feel are very easy and simple to use. They don't put any pressure on the rca input when taking off and on, which I feel is the best way to go If you're going to be switching. That way nothing will wear out.

I do have a pair of Kimber PBJ interconnects that take a lot of force to put on and to take off. With this type of connector i think the rca input and the male plug would wear out much quicker than with a good quality locking rca.

The WBT connectors are not cheap, but I'm sure that the reg locking rcas on the Catcables would have the same "easy off" and "easy on" result.

Just my .02

Thanks,

Josh

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I agree, IMO locking RCAs would be better, because you won't have a tight connector to pull off every time. Yes, it does mean more work. The WBT are probably one of the best (and most expensive) connectors around. If you're building your own cables (or having them built for you) and are looking for cheaper alternatives, check out the Dayton locking RCAs at www.partsexpress.com - $10 for 2 pairs, and they're reasonably well constructed. I've seen plenty of people recommend them as being very good value for money.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
The aspect of the Outlaw cables that I don't like is that their locking connectors get in each other's way when there are 2 or more rca inputs next to each other. This makes them harder to unscrew/unlock. Do the catcable locking connectors have this problem?

Thanks.

Doug

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Doug,

Check out Catcables website and take a look at the connectors. I personally don't have their reg connectors but I don't think they are and bigger than the WBTs, which do not get in each others way.

Good luck,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks