Audio inputs bleeding together??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rod_D, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Rod_D

Rod_D Auditioning

Aug 25, 2005
    I have a Yamaha HTR-5760 and have connected to it:

DVD Player
    VHS Deck
    Satellite DVR (Dishnetwork) Receiver
    Cassette Deck
    CD Player

When I want to year music, I have to turn off the Satellite receiver otherwise the audio of the program will bleed/mix into my music.

I hate HAVING TO turn it off, because when the DVR kicks-in the system power is turned on and again the audio bleeds into the music.

I have had a similar problem happen when watching tv, depending on the source, I can get audio form one of the other sources if they are on.

Shouldn't the receiver switch rather than mix the inputs? What's more frustrating is that when you do want to mix input to outputs, say come into the system with an S-Video and then come out of the receiver in a RCA video plug, say, you can't because only S-video inputs can come out as S-video outputs etc. etc. So mixing only hurts you and doesn't help.

One last thing, the volume required for the different inputs is drastically different. If I'm using the digital coax or the optical then volume needs to be way up when using RCA or normal coax inputs then volume comes way back down to normal.

Is all this NORMAL across different Receivers or did I get a dud? Mine is the Japan made model which is usually bet than those made elsewhere from what I hear.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    There is little difference relative to where they are made.

This is NOT normal. The only receiver that I've owned that had this problem was a $300 Sony. Either you have a defective unit, or it's time for a better one.
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    Some bleeding isn’t all that uncommon, but typically you don’t hear it until the volume is turned up really high. What’s peculiar is that only the satellite input is bleeding (the tuner section of the receiver is always active, too). Have you checked other sources to see of they’re bleeding, like playing a VCR or cassette tape while the CD is playing?

If it’s just the sat receiver bleeding, try using its digital output, and the analog outputs of the CD player. That might make a difference.
    This is a common complaint with DVD players, and it’s normal for them to have a lower output than other components. Haven’t heard this complaint about other components that use digital outputs.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Apr 9, 2000
    Try this, Rod: when you switch from one active input to another, switch first to an inactive input. (For example, if you have no "Video 2" or "Phono" hooked up, switch to that from your satellite input before switching to your CD input.) This is a common "workaround" to this actually very common problem (though it sounds like it's much worse/more audible on your equipment than others).
  5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

May 10, 1999
    Yeah, it sounds like there may be something actually 'wrong' with your unit.

My worst culprit was always the FM tuner section would always leak - but usually at, say, -60dB or lower.

As I type this, I'm wondering, though - might it be a different sort of electrical problem? One or more of the devices might be on a different 'ground plain' - for lack of a better description.

Try some of the classical wiring issues - ground isolate one or more of the devices in question - or plug 'em all into the same power strip.

But, especially before any warantees expire, do consider that you may want to get the unit replaced and/or serviced.

p.s. - the only way I got away from tuner leakage was by going to a DSP-A1 - no tuner section! [​IMG]
  6. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Feb 2, 2001
    I have 4 yamaha units...and have never ever experience this issue. I might assume as others have..that there could be a problem with your unit. Hope things work out.
    Peace Out- Thomas.