audio in dts, but no dpl or dd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike X, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Mike X

Mike X Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I am a first time poster, long time reader here. I have come across a problem that I couldn't solve through the search function here. I recently had to retire my DVD (Panny RV-31)and had to replace it with a temp (Mintek that I got for free for a best buy promotion). The Mintek has no optical out, so I went to Radio Shack and got their cheapest audio coax cable. When I hooked this up to my receiver (Yamaha RXV-620), I got a clear DTS signal, but no Dolby Digital or Dolby Surround. In those modes, the audio cuts in and out (mostly out) while the dolby indicator light on the Yamaha flickers on and off. Based on the Mintek manual, I have set the SPDIF setting to SPDIF/Raw, and I have changed the coax assignment to DVD on my receiver. Any thoughts?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    What jacks are you using to make the audio connection? Is the jack on the DVD player specifically labeled as a a digital coax out? There are two different types of coax jacks, digital and analogue, and they are not compatible.

3. Mike X

Mike X Stunt Coordinator

yes, it is the digital coax. i am getting DTS signal beautifully, which makes it that much more confusing.

4. Mike X

Mike X Stunt Coordinator

any suggestions here? perhaps a more suitable forum?

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It's hard to say. If I were to have this problem first I'd check to make sure the disc had a dolby digital track. Then I'd check the setup menu on the DVD player to make sure it was set to pass a Dolby signal thru the digital coax jack. Then I'd double check the wiring to make sure that digital coax was connected to digital coax with a suitable cable. Then I'd check the receiver to make sure it was set up properly. Once I knew that the hardware, software, and wiring were properly set up then I'd suspect something was broken.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Mike,

I had a maddening problem with my DVD/Receiver where it would loose sync on DTS, but was more reliable with PCm or DD (essentially the opposite of your problem). I eventually pinpointed the problem to a combination of house power and the electronics- simple incompatibility somewhere (noise in power lines messed with receiver).

My guess would be the output signal strength of this player (it was a cheap giveaway item?) being incompatible with your receiver's expectations. From what I've seen around, there is really no solid standard on output levels for these digital lines.

If you've tried swapping out cabling- that would be my best guess.

-vince

7. Mike X

Mike X Stunt Coordinator

i was hoping that this dvd player would bridge the gap until i upgrade my monitor to HD (making a prog. scan the choice) but i may have to upgrade earlier...i will try a new cable before taking that step however.

8. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

Hey, i have the same reciever! Just a question, do you have the digital coax, as well as the RCA L/R audio hooked up? The reciever my be confused about which one to use. If you only have the coax hooked up, try setting the reciever to use that input by default, it may be trying to get a signal on the analog lines too, even though there is nothing there. I dont' know i'm just guessing at this...