What's new

audio in dts but no dd or dpl (1 Viewer)

Mike X

Stunt Coordinator
I recently had to retire my DVD (Panny RV-31)and had to replace it with a temp (Mintek that I got for free for a best buy promotion). The Mintek has no optical out, so I went to Radio Shack and got their cheapest audio coax cable. When I hooked this up to my receiver (Yamaha RXV-620), I got a clear DTS signal, but no Dolby Digital or Dolby Surround. In those modes, the audio cuts in and out (mostly out) while the dolby indicator light on the Yamaha flickers on and off. Based on the Mintek manual, I have set the SPDIF setting to SPDIF/Raw, and I have changed the coax assignment to DVD on my receiver. Any thoughts?

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Here's a suggestion:
Get a DVD player that's NOT CRAPPY! ;)
Seriously though.... it might be a problem with the DVD player. You get what you pay for in those $60 models.
I find it strange that you can play DTS and not DD... I thought it was usually the other way around.

Mike X

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, i was trying to bide time with this player until i upgraded my monitior to HD (thus giving me an excuse to get a prog. scan), but i may have to bite the bullet early.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Your problem could be that you are using the "cheapest audio coax cable" instead of a video cable!

Just buy a cheap (ok, not too cheap) video cable and use that. An audio cable is ALL wrong for S/PDIF. Video cables are just the ticket. Contrary to what the salesguys will tell you, you don't need a special "digital audio cable".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks