Audio Hookup Cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by DavidStaggs, Feb 23, 2005.

1. DavidStaggs

DavidStaggs Auditioning

Im pretty now so after you stop laughing at the question i am about to ask, if you would answer, i would appreciate it[​IMG]

If i have a component cable running from you dvd player to an in on my receiver and a component cable running from the out to the tv, do i need anything else running to the receiver to hear the audio, or do the component cables carry the dvd audio as well?

and if i do need something else, what is it and are there different levels of audio cables for this like composite, s-video, and component?

last thing, are there different levels of component cables for video or are all the blue, green, red cables the same?

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

no they do not carry audio as well. You will either need to use a pair of r/l stereo RCA cables, a optical cable or a digital coax cable to get sound. There are different qualities of cables. But they all try to do the same thing. Just get something decent from www.accessories4less.com or radio shack or equivalent and you'll be fine

3. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

You will need a separate, additional audio cable running from the dvd player to the receiver, as component video cables carry only the picture signal.

Depending on what connections are available on your dvd player and receiver, you'll probably be looking for a (1) standard stereo audio cable (2 RCA connectors, usually red and white, but might be different); (2) digital optical audio cable; or (3) coaxial digital cable. The first will give you stereo sound, each of the last 2 will give you some kind of surround sound (i.e., 5.1/6.1/7.1) capability.

Here's a stereo audio cable example: Blue Jeans Cable Stereo Audio Cables

Here's a digital optical audio cable example: Acoustic Research Digital Optical Audio Cable at Best Buy

Here's a coaxial digital audio cable example: Blue Jeans Cable Coaxial Digital Audio Cables

4. DavidStaggs

DavidStaggs Auditioning

ok so if i get the coaxial digital audio cable from blue jeans cable, i only need one? or do i more?

And that cable will give me 6.1 surround?

5. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

You would just need the one and that would give you surround sound so long as your receiver is capable of producing it (I'm guessing that if the receiver has the connector then that probably answers the question). Just make sure the dvd player has the appropriate output and the receiver has the input; you need a coaxial digital audio connector on both components, something that looks kinda like and is labeled kinda like this:

[​IMG]

What receiver and dvd player are you using?

6. DavidStaggs

DavidStaggs Auditioning

i just have a combo jvc dvd player and the receiver is the pioneer vsx-d814-k i have not checked the imputs and outputs but i will right now

7. DavidStaggs

DavidStaggs Auditioning

yes my jvc has the output.

8. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Then you're good to go! You'd probably be just as happy with the sound from coaxial digital cable from Radio Shack, or Acoustic Research from Best Buy. Blue Jeans makes great cables, just figure you might want it *now* instead of waiting for shipping, and honestly with this kind of cable in the average household setting either of those other mainstream brands will give you good quality sound that you and I would be hard-pressed to differentiate from the sound from a Blue Jeans cable.

9. DavidStaggs

DavidStaggs Auditioning

thanks again for all your help i will go get one right now[​IMG]