What's new

Audio Hic-cups when viewing satellite & DVDs (1 Viewer)

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I tend to get very quick "blips" in my sound when viewing dvds & tv. They are just interuptions for a split second, and then the sound returns to normal.

The frequency of these vary, anywhere from every couple of minutes to once or twice a day. I do notice them much more often when watching satellite vs. DVDs.

I'm assuming I need a better surge protector or some type of power conditior. I'm currently using a cheap $29 surge prt. from best buy.

I have my TV (50in DLP), Receiver, DVD player, & PS2 connected through this protector.

I've read up on the use of surge protectors & conditiors and understand the need to upgrade my current equipment.

Any thoughts on what would be the best way to fix this??

(also, not sure if there would have been a better area to post this or not)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

A power strip has nothing to do with it.

How do you have the audio of the Sat and DVD connected? Are they both going through a receiver? What kind of cable..optical? coax? RCA? Is your equipment fairly new?

You really need to investigate your wires and I'd so far to say check your speak wires all to make sure you don't have anything coming loose etc.

Swap out the audio cables on the Sat and DVD with some others and hear if you have the same troubles.

Again, don't waste money buying a new powerstrip, it won't help your ausio.

Keep us posted.

:)

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
The audio from the DVD is connected via digital coax and the satellite uses optical.

My pioneer receiver is about 1 yr old, the dvd and satellite receiver are brand new.

All the wires seem to be ok, only thing I changed was the TV. I doubt it's the speakers anyway because all of them cut of at the exact same time for a split second.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd probably start by making sure the connections are secure and paying a little attention to the optical ends of the cables as well as maybe blowing out the areas where the optical cable connects. Apart from that also take a look at the speaker cable ends. If you're running bare wire you want to make sure you don't have a dangler out there shorting things out. BTW, did this problem happen with the old TV?

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
I use banana clips on all the speaker connections.

This did happen with my old TV, but it happnes MUCH more often with the new TV.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
This could be a cable issue then with a flaky connection and/or some corrosion or tarnishing of the jacks. I think a good thing to have on hand is some contact cleaner with foam swabs or pipe cleaners to periodically for just routine maintenance. With regards to the cables, this is a trial and error thing so I'd look to picking up a set at someplace where you can return them if the idea doesn't pan out like Radio Shack or Target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks