What's new

audio help PLEASE (1 Viewer)

bergy12

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I HAVE A DVD HOME THEATER AND AND LG HDTV AND IM TRYING TO HOOK UP THE HOME THEATER FOR SURROUND SOUND WITH A OPTICAL CABLE.. BUT BOTH HAD OPTICAL OUT.. WHAT DO I DO

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike:

Welcome to the HTF!

Are you using a set-top digital cable box to bring your TV signal into the system? Or are you using an off-air antenna (like rabbit ears)?

I'm assuming you get surround sound when you play DVDs and are wondering how to get Surround sound with broadcast TV?

It would also help us to help you if you gave us the make and model numbers of the TV and HT system.

Oh and I deleted your identical thread in another forum. For one, it was in the wrong place and, for another, please only one thread per topic. Thanks.

bergy12

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
i havent tried playing dvds. but the hdtv is (55le7300-ua) and the home theater is (d-htib)..if says. so by using a opitcal cable im trying to hook up the surround sound for using a xbox 360 and a direct tv box.. what do i do... thanks for writing mike

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The "d-htib" still isn't enough to go on for us to be able to look up the specific gear you've got. A manufacturer and model number would really help.

But, let's see. You've got the LG TV, an xBox 360, a DirectTV box and the HTIB (which probably consists of a combo DVD/receiver unit and 5.1 speakers.

The simple answer is you want to connect the xbox and DirectTV box to the HTIB unit and let the audio go out to the speakers and the video go out to the TV. But without knowing what exact HTIB you've got, it's hard to know what types of connections you should be using.

If the HTIB can accept HDMI cables, you should use those to connect the xbox and DirectTV boxes. HDMI carries both audio and video. You would then run an HDMI cable out of the HTIB to the TV for the best image possible.

bergy12

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
HOME THEATER IS A dynex (model DX-HTIB). so let me know how i would hook it up pleaSE. its been bugging me for days

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping someone with more expertise than me will respond...but here goes:

Assuming that this is your HTIB...I'm afraid you don't have any options for surround sound from external sources.

The only inputs you have (of ANY sort...audio or video) are two stereo audio inputs.

To run the xbox and direct TV through your HTIB, you'll need to hook up analog stereo cables to the two audio inputs on the HTIB and then run separate video connectors to the TV and constantly switch the appropriate sources.

bergy12

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
i dont get what ur saying to do, im totally new at this,, but if i needed to get a new HT. what do i have to make sure it has on it??

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Mike,

You've discovered the biggest drawback to cheap/entry level HTiB systems - a nearly complete lack of support for additional digital sources.

Most often, systems that come with an integrated DVD or Blu-Ray player will have limited or no external digital connections. Sadly, these are usually the most affordable systems, and folks don't realize their shortcomings until it's too late.

The better all-in-one solutions are the systems that have a REAL A/V receiver at their core. These are totally expandable and will support many devices. Common models are from Onkyo and Denon. A decent system will run about $400 and will NOT include a DVD or Blu-Ray player, so that will run extra. One system that we frequently recommend here is the 5400 system that is currently $360 at Amazon. This is a good system that will support 4 HDMI devices, and has an additional 4 digital audio inputs. The speakers can also be upgraded down the line (another drawback to cheap systems - you can't swap out speakers).

You haven't specified a budget - that would be the first thing we need to know. If you can swing it, a true home theater system from Onkyo would be in your best interest, however if that's not in the cards, it will take a bit more hunting to find a system that has support for two external digital sources.

bergy12

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
i cant aford another system but i can use it in my living room i guess,, so maybe ill get a sound bar for my room,, and its not a big deal if i hook up both xbox and and directv at the same time,, if that helps at all on getting anything... just what do i need to know if i wanted to get another system.. either sound bar or hometheater.. do i need (in) or (out) putS? can u post a cheap sound bar and reciver i can get that will work with my tv thanks alot l

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Mike,

In order to route the sound from your sources through a soundbar or other device, you need one audio input on the sound bar for each source that you want to have connected. You switch sources on the soundbar or surround system to decide which device you want to listen to. If you want to preserve digital 5.1 audio (for surround systems only), then the inputs must be digital (coaxial or optical). For sound bars, you can get by with analog stereo (red/white RCA connections), because soundbars generally only do simulated surround from a stereo signal.

I haven't auditioned sound bars in person, but I understand that in a pinch, they can be an inexpensive and simple way to improve on the TV speakers.

A quick search on Amazon for sound bars brought up this model from Philips. The reviews on Amazon are mixed - it's pretty cheap, but it does have 2 HDMI inputs, as well as two digital coaxial inputs and a separate subwoofer. With this model, you can connect both devices to the sound bar simultaneously and switch between them.

If you connect your devices using HDMI cables, you can use the HDMI output from the sound bar into the TV and do all of your video and audio switching via the sound bar.

There is another inexpensive option - this one from Vizio. This does not include the subwoofer, and will not support video connections, but has one optical connection, and two analog stereo connections - enough to connect three devices. The reviews for this are a bit better than the Philips, and personally, I would tend to trust the Vizio brand a bit more than the Philips, but the Philips offers quite a bit at a pretty low price.

Neither option is ideal, but will help you improve the sound quality for all your devices for less than $150.

Hope this helps.

bergy12

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
so if i did go with A HOME THEATER i would just have to make sure it has the INPUTS and NOT the outputs on the reciever? correct? and if i got a reciever would i be able to hook up all my speakers i have now to it? could u find a reciever for about a 100 dollars that would work for me please. im stumped

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Mike,

If your budget is a hard-capped $100 it's going to be very difficult to find a solution to fit your needs.

Any all-in-one system in the sub-$200 range is almost guaranteed to NOT have any audio or video inputs at all. That's one of many problems with the really cheap systems.

So your idea of getting a receiver sounds like a good approach, right? Unfortunately no. The speakers that came with your Dynex system are very likely to be low impedance speakers (the manual that MIke Frezon linked to does not provide the speaker's impedance - you'll have to look on the back of the actual speakers). Chances are they are 3 or 4 ohm speakers.

You CAN'T connect 3 or 4 ohm speakers to just "any" receiver. In fact, MOST standalone receivers will only work with 6 or 8 ohm speakers.

So really, the Dynex system either needs to work as a complete unit, or the whole thing needs to be replaced.

That's why the most cost-effective approach for you will be a sound bar. They are the cheapest way to get support for multiple devices.

Really, we're scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel at this point. You want good sound from at least 2 devices, you have a HTiB system that doesn't meet your needs and most likely has zero components that can be repurposed, and a budget of $100. The Vizio sound bar can be yours for $130 shipped. That's about the cheapest option I can come up with that isn't a total waste of time and money.

Even IF you were to find out the Dynex speakers are 6 ohm models, you won't find a new receiver for less than the soundbar.

bergy12

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
thank u very much for talkin and i just looked and my speakers are impedance 8 ohm

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's a refurbished Denon receiver for just $129.99 at eCost with 4 HDMI inputs.

That would allow you to hook up the xbox, directTV box and two other digital sources down-the-road.

It would also even (I think) allow you to use the Dynex box as your DVD player. (Using the HDMI out expected for the TV but instead running to the Denon?!?). But, if not, you can pick up a DVD player at Wal-mart for $29.99 sometime.

What I don't know is if the speakers that came with the Dynex could be used with this receiver. I'm sure Jason could answer that.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Well, 8 ohm speakers are a pleasant surprise!

In addition to the great deal that Mike listed, Accessories4Less.com has a number of refurb. receivers for around the same price (give or take $10). This Onkyo RC-230 is the same price as the Denon, and for another ten bucks, this Onkyo 308 (last year's model). They also have the same Denon as eCost, but for $10 more.

Ac4l is a reputable dealer, and all the refurbs there come with a 1 year warranty.

Again, you won't find a decent new receiver in this price range, but refurbs are a distinct possibility.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I looked at eCost Jason because I just recently purchased a refurbed Denon 790 for myself (I wanted analog inputs for a legacy SACD player) and have so far (knock on wood) been quite pleased with the out of box experience.

I got mine with a 1-year warranty for $199 total cost. I thought that was a GREAT deal.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
That's definitely a great deal! I'll be sure to keep eCost in mind and check it out for any future recommendations. Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks