Audio help needed

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MikeSh, Jun 7, 2003.

1. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

Old age and other factors have combined to cause me to have hearing problems. So I need some advice or suggestions on ways to improve the volume of speech out of my system.

I am using a Pioneer, I think..., DD 5.1 receiver wired into a 5.1 speaker setup. When I crank up the volume loud enough to hear conversation on a lot of movies and some brodcast shows I blow the family and myself out of the room when music or action sceens hit.

The speech is coming out of the center channel but the other audio coming out of the tower speakers is overpowering. I have set the center channel to the max within the receiver control and have turned down the towers.

Any ideas on how to get louder speech w/o blasting the house when the action hits?

MikeS.

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Hi Mike,

You need to enable dynamic compression on your receiver. It is a commonly-found feature that is applied to DD or DTS signals. It is sometimes called "Midnight Mode". It basically crams all volumes into a narrower volume band so that quiet sounds are louder and loud sounds are quieter.

Alternatively, if you have a "Loudness" button on your receiver, that can make speech more intelligible, but unlike dynamic compression, "Loudness" does not solve the loud action scene problem.

-JNS

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

4. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, I'll try the Midnight mode.

MikeS

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you may also want to ensure that your speakers are all balanced. if necessary, feel free to "bump up" the center channel to where it works for you.

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I was just going to say the same thing Ted, balance the speakers and crank the center louder than the rest, its 99% speech in that channel anyway so that might solve the problem.