What's new

Audio Formats ??? (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
At the risk of sounding stupid...
blush.gif

Could someone explain the nomenclature for audio formats on DVD's or point me to a site that has a good explanation. One thing I'm confused about is mono. Is there 1.0 mono and 2.0 mono, if so what's the difference? Also, I just got The Natural, 4.0? 3 across the front and 1 split for the rear surrounds?
And it doesn't help that my Sony uses a completely different system
biggrin.gif

Any help would be appreciated.
Brett

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
DD1.0 mono is a single mono channel directed to the front center channel. DD2.0 mono is the same mono signal directed to the left/right front channels.
DD2.0 can represent several different formats -- mono spread across the L/R front, stereo (still L/R front), or Dolby Surround encoded in two-channels.
DD4.0 is usually three discreet channels across the front (L/C/R), with a single mono surround channel. This is similar to Dolby ProLogic in effect, but using discreet channels instead of relying on DPL to decode the two-channel signal.
In theory, any of the above formats could include a .1 channel for low frequency effects (LFE), although this is not very common (especially for DD1.0 or DD2.0). I'm sure some other member can site some examples, though.
DD5.1 is five discreet channels (L/C/R front and L/R back), with a LFE channel. DD5.0 is the same, but without the LFE.
I always get the nomenclature for the "six channel" formats mixed up (which is ES vs. EX), so I will leave that to someone else.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7
[Edited last by Scott Merryfield on August 14, 2001 at 11:59 AM]

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
I always get the nomenclature for the "six channel" formats mixed up (which is ES vs. EX), so I will leave that to someone else.
Allow me Scott.
  • DD EX & DTS ES Matrix are actually 5.1 formats with a 6th matrixed (audio derived from the rear left and right discrete channels) speaker in the rear.
  • THX-EX is the same as above but with 2 matrixed rear speakers instead of one.
  • DTS ES Discrete is a true 6.1 format with a 6th discrete rear channel.
Hope that clears it up.
------------------
DTS Laser Disc. Size Does Matter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks