What's new

Audio Fidelity SACDs soon for Yes, Fleetwood Mac, Lynyrd Skynyrd (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I only own a Fleetwood Mac album. I'd be interested to see which one they release. I haven't tried music from the others. It's too bad the Rolling Stone sampler CD isn't a regular feature.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Meh. More boomer fodder. Hate to be all negative-nancy, but I just can't see myself listening to any of this classic rock radio dreck with anything approaching enthusiasm.

Geez... am I in a bad mood or what?? Somebody flip me some Paxil... ;)

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator

Better that then what is being passed for music on the radio today...

Thanks for the heads-up Lee.

Jimmy

Now spinning: Laurie Anderson- Home of the Brave

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree with Rich. Even though I'm a boomer I've got no desire to buy a bunch of back-catalog 70's album rock on SACD or DVD-A. Do I listen to it? Sure, once in a great while. But my musical tastes aren't locked into a high school/college time warp for cryin' out loud. I have zero desire to sit through "Freebird" again just because it's on SACD/DVD-A, and I certainly don't want to buy it.

We most definitely need more current stuff released on high-res formats. I just feel lucky that we have titles from artists like Beck, Aimee Mann, Flaming Lips, Cowboy Junkies, Patricia Barber, etc. on the shelves. I'll tell ya, I'd buy a LOT more SACDs if I had more recent material to choose from.

Lynyrd Skynyrd? Fleetwood Mac? Yes? PAUL RODGERS?!?

Bleh.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I agree Rich. Even though I'm a boomer I've got no desire to buy a bunch of back-catalog 70's album rock on SACD or DVD-A.
I shouldn't have said "boomer" or even "70s". Indeed, what CDs have I only just purchased this month? Well, Patti Smith, some Ramones, the Clash, Rhino's "70s Punk Rebellion" boxset, Mission of Burma, assorted Bob Dylan SACDs... indeed, a great deal of music from the 70s (and very early 80s).

So, I'm being a tad unfair. Ok, more than a tad! It's not really that the music is old or that it premiered in the (late) boomer-era and might appeal to them. It's just that I doesn't wanna listen to Fleetwood Mac (thinks it's bad enough to have to involuntarily suffer through that lame-ass, but ubiquitous Dixie Chicks cover), I doesn't wanna listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd, I doesn't wanna hear any ersatz Bad Company... I will, however, listen to Yes at least once if you buy it and bring it over, accompanied with a nice Riesling that leans to the dry side.

And none of my earlier ranting applies to Dylan. Why? Well, I happen to love Bob Dylan... ;)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it would be nice to see some newer material. Every time a new album comes out by one of my favored artists, I feel like it should have an SACD Hybrid. I'm astounded now when they don't.

I still buy the new Tori Amos, or the new Annie Lennox, or the new Dido, but I wish they'd release them in Hi-Rez. I have to imagine that Hi-Rez would take off more effectively if they marketted it more to the younger set with big wallets and no bills.

I'm still waiting for a good domestic SACD with dance/house/techno style music on it.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Open Your Eyes, Talk, Keys to Ascention, KeysStudio...I think there are several 90s Yes titles that are not on WEA labels.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Don't expect the popular 'Yes' albums, those are controlled by Warner...this has to be newer stuff.
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on whether the new Warner under Bronfman is willing to license some big titles to go to market faster. Given that Yes is part of Warner, I would say anything can happen now.

Also, being out on DVDA does not preclude SACD releases or vice versa as Universal can attest.

:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I have a bunch of the Audio Fidelity discs that have come out so far and they're a good value. The Zombies and the Cal Tjader are particulary excellent. However, my desire for 20-40 year old albums is PURR-DY darn near max'ed out. If the selection doesn't change directions soon, I'm gonna be buying few or no SACD's. Hey, I have a nice collection that justifies players already.

Sony can keep all their reissues of mediocre James Taylor albums which were in Busted Buy 2-day. I never want to hear FREE BIRD again by Skynyrd or Hank Williams or the others who have done it. I got tired of John Mayall before most of this board's members were born. I have about all the Free and Bad Company albums that I'll ever need. I have Otis Spann & Fleetwood Mac's THE BIGGEST THING SINCE COLOSSUS which is proably the best album they were ever involved with, the original Mac.

I'm sick of reissues! :thumbsdown: I'm tired of the labels that only want to milk the past. I have more sympathy for Audio Fidelity. They release the bones that the majors throw them. Sony and Universal are crapping on SACD. Sure, they've both put out a few new albums for show, but day in and day out they want to sell the musty past for today's prices.

I got my 9000ES nearly 5 years ago. I'm sick of waiting on this format. My patience is just about gone. I don't want The Beatles on SACD. I want no more Dylan. I want no Rush...well, maybe Tom Rush.;) I'm sick of back catalog titles in general.

My favourite SACD's lately are the indie releases, Colleen Sexton, Death Cab For Cutie, Suitcase Pimps. I got the new David Sanborn but I had to wait months after the redbook. I'm just fed up with the majors. They're majorly *ucking up SACD and DVD-A too for that matter.

I'm ready for the "take that disc and shove it" campaign!;) Hi-rez isn't a legitimate format/s till it gets current music and plenty of it. NO MORE GERITOL ROCK por favor!
The future is now. ...end of rant:)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on whether the new Warner under Bronfman is willing to license some big titles to go to market faster. Given that Yes is part of Warner, I would say anything can happen now.
You heard it here first, folks. Lee is predicting WEA albums to be released on SACD on the small Audio Fidelity boutique label. Mark this date on your calendar! I sure am!

Ok, he says 'maybe'. Well, I'm taking wagers, so let me know the odds. :laugh:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike,

You are one seriously grumpy dude. I mean I mention a valid possibility involving a new management team and this leads you to think I am making a claim?

Are you ever going to say something positive on one of my threads?

More title news and the usual naysayers are complaining becuase they didn't release their album...why not just vote with your wallet and not spend the money?

Meanwhile, those of us who enjoy the albums can discuss it without such negative, argumentative comments. This can't be healthy over the long haul.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I shouldn't have said "boomer" or even "70s". Indeed, what CDs have I only just purchased this month? Well, Patti Smith, some Ramones, the Clash, Rhino's "70s Punk Rebellion" boxset, Mission of Burma, assorted Bob Dylan SACDs...
Rich, have you had the opportunity to see any of Mission of Burma's Boston performances since they reunited? I'm praying they record some new material. Good grief, what a great, seminal band.

JordanS

Second Unit
I'm waiting for the Pink Floyd albums to come out on SACD.

1) Animals
2) Wish You Were Here
3) Meddle
4) The Wall

I would like to see the live album, "PULSE" come out on some high resolution format as well. This is possibly my favorite all time album and I would love the recording to be even better.

Could you imagine "Dogs" on SACD/DVD-A? *drools* I'm talking the studio version from 1977, not RW's "In The Flesh", even though that version of "Dogs" is superb.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see any Yes released on SACD. Just thinking of "Close to the Edge", "Relayer", or "Going for the One" in Hi-Rez makes me giddy! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
The fact of the matter is it IS the golden oldies that are keeping the interest for SACD and DVD-A releases.

Most of the younger crowd are just as happy to burn mp3's from computers for free. They (for the most part) have no clue of any hi-rez format. I know of a couple of cases where some young music lovers bought one of the James Taylor SACD titles that had been miss filed in the regular CD section (CC, Imagine that) and were miffed it wouldn't play in any CD player.

And what is with all of the "from the front row" DVD-A's? Has anyone tried any of these? I could understand a few live hi-rez recording but there must be a couple of dozen of these DVD-A, and most are from minor artist, or at least not the real big artists. I question if titles like "From the Front Row" with Grand Funk or Todd Rudgren are truly what we are looking for.

I am all for releasing the older truly classic releases, like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Dark Side Of The Moon.

Until the SACD and DVD-A folks figure out what us baby boomers are currently buying (new release artists), the hi-rez baloon's air will continue to leak out.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I am all for releasing the older truly classic releases, like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Dark Side Of The Moon.
I agree. I have been enjoying such great albums as Goodbye Yelloe Brick Road (absolutely phenomenal sonics on the Super Audio layer) and Tommy (also phenomenal).

More current releases are happening but Sony is pursuing a "boomer" based strategy so they are building support there first. As I have explained in the "boomer" thread, this seems like a great strategy.

We are seeing some current releases like Ludacris, John Mayer, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks