Audio Feedback

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brandon-K, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Brandon-K

Brandon-K Extra

I have a pretty nasty hum when I connect my computer to my HT receivers. I've tried hooking it up the following two ways:
    RadioShack coverter to RCA's
    Target adapter with built in ungodly long RCA's.

Both of these give me an annoying amount of feedback. I am off at college and I use my computer at a lot of gatherings to control the music and I can't stand it anymore. What adapters should I look in to getting to get this done right?

My computer is as follows:
    Asus A7N8X-deluxe mother board with integrated 5.1 sound
    AMD Barton 2800
    768 MB DDR 300 Memory
    (2) 120 GB WD Hard Drives
    ATI AIW Radeon 9600, running dual monitor + S-Video out

-Brandon

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Ground hum is not feedback. Is what you are experiencing is low, constant hum or a more high frequency rolling sound?

If it's a low, 60 cycle hum- it's a symptom of bad electricity. You could try disconnecting things that aren't necessary to see if they're the problem (do you have cable TV coming into the house and have that connected to the same receiver?)

-V

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

4. Brandon-K

Brandon-K Extra

Vince Maskeeper: yah, that's exactly what I'm experiencing. I've had this on two different setups:
    First setup was a Pioneer Receiver that has no video switching in old my dorm room at school. Even if all I had plugged in was the computer I still got the hum, but I don't think it was as loud as it is on this new receiver.
    Second setup is at my parents house. Very nice Yamaha receiver that does a lot of Video switching, but the cable line is hooked up to a digital cable box, then to the receiver. Since it's my dad's setup I haven't unplugged everything, and I really can't, he'd kill me [​IMG]

What do you think?

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Easy answer: Buy the box linked above, should solve it.

Hard Answer: Try removing eveything from the system not completely necessary (including monitors)- see if hum goes away. If not, try switching receiver/computer so they are first on the same circuit, then on different circuits. Still no change, try ground lifting one at a time, then both (using a cheaper plug that isolates the ground-- these are the cheap 2/3 prog adapter plugs you can buy at walmart for a dollar). Find out if ground lifting either solves the problem. Report back.

6. Brandon-K

Brandon-K Extra

by from the system you mean both HT and Computer? Hmm, I'll bring out my unused Pioneer system that I mentioned earlier. Ground lifting shouldn't be a problem, I just bought 2 of those adapters the other day in fact.

I'll report back in about an hour! [​IMG]

Brandon

7. Brandon-K

Brandon-K Extra

Ok, I played, I'm back.

Good news, I found that my Pioneer (SX-255r) receiver with nothing attached to it but 2 speakers and the computer input gives off almost no noise. There's still some noise when cranked, but even then, less than in scenario 2. An odd thing I discovered is that if I use the CD input there is a louder noise than if I use the LD/DVD input. I'm guessing that's due to different encoding/decoding techinques? No biggy.

Scenario 2. This one was fun. The receiver (Yamaha RX-V2095) uses a 2 pin power wire so I couldn't lift the ground, so what I did was run a big extension cord from the same outlet my computers on to the receiver and tried it. Absolutely no change in the noise. I'm not about to unplug everything because I'd be here all night and tomorrow as well. Kind of confused on this one.

On a side note I took 3 pictures to show you the setup...kind of. Check out coychiro.com/HT/ to see them. It was pretty tight to get back there, luckily I'm a small guy, but the wiring is a nightmare! Some of you might actually cry -- I know I almost did.

I'm stil open to ideas on how to remove this noise from the Yamaha receiver, but it's not a big deal. I'm taking the Pioneer receiver to my house when I go back to school in 2 days. Hopefully it won't develop any issues.

Thanks for your help thus far, Vince Maskeeper. And thanks for the link, Ken Chan. I may look in to that later if I need to.

-Brandon-K

8. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have a hum problem too that sounds like the 60 cycle variety. I'll try these different suggestions to eliminate it...thanks for all the ideas.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Did you try ground lifting the computer? Any change?

10. Brandon-K

Brandon-K Extra

yah, I did try that too. Absolutely no change [​IMG]