Audio DVDs ?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Andrew O'Brien, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

Well, I did another round of store room visits today, in advance of my eventual Christmas purchase of a receiver with Dolby Digital and DTS. While in a music store I encountered an audio DVD section. Various artists with DVDs packaged for 5:1 sound.

Since I have only heard music CDs on a stereo system, I wonder what 5 channel music sounds like, is it substantially better/different from traditional CD's in a two speakers system?

Andy

2. Chris Cash

Chris Cash Stunt Coordinator

Are you talking about DVD Audio disks or music DVD's?
    [​IMG] If you are talking about DVD Audio, yeah, it's pretty cool. But you need a DVD Audio compatable DVD player.

~C.C.~

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

DVD-Audio is substantially better in resolution than standard CDs. I myself don't like the aggressive way surround DVD-A or SACDs are mixed, but 2-channel high-res tracks are amazing, along with tracks with only very conservative ambient use of the surrounds.

DVD movie concert discs are cool, have great audio, they are just different than CD. Being compressed, the sound quality won't be *quite* as good (just like any DVD), but you do get 6 or more channels which rocks.

"But you need a DVD Audio compatable DVD player."

I would not classify it as this("compatible" is very misleading). You need a DVD-Audio player that is labeled as such. Most any DVD player will be "compatible" with DVD-A, since included is usually a compressed DD track with the same music on it. You can listen to it all in surround, but you're not getting the high-resolution capabilities that is the whole point of DVD-A.

I beleive this is also covered well in the Primer/FAQ.

4. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, just checked the specs on my DVD player and DVD-A is not listed, I guess I'll keep that in mind for my next DVD player.

5. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

most dvd players are not dvd-a compatible, only some are...including mine, the panasonic f85

also a pioneer and some others.