Audio Dropouts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Why do audio dropouts occur on certain discs? My copy of T2 has dropouts on certain areas while watching the DTS version. I watch on a Toshiba 2150 but a lot of other people watch movies like POTA and PH on their equipment and experience dropouts. Is there a certain reason for this? what technical reason is there for audio dropouts? thanks.

2. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

This is usually an authoring mistake in the DVD for more recent problem DVDs when programmers veer too far away from the original DVD standard to add spiffy DVD features (i.e. some newer Disney fare such as The Kid, Emperor's new Groove).

Early problems were usually with machines that didn't totally meet specifications, requiring firmaware upgrades (i.e. some of the early Toshibas).

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have seen many dropout problems especially from earlier Toshiba DVD's and especially when couples with some Sony receivers. I find it hard to believe that Toshiba, one of the founders of the DVD format/spec have spec problems with their DVD players. I relly would like some official announcements about this.

4. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

I have an old Toshiba SD-2008 that had audio drop outs with almost every Warner Disc. I sent it in for a free firmware upgrade, and have had problems with only 3 discs in the last few years or so.
    Disney's "The Emperor's New Groove" exhibits audio drop outs.
    Disney's "The Kid" has trouble booting up (takes 2 or three tries but eventually does).
    Good Times' "Shakedown" doesn't boot up at all (which may be a good thing now that I think about it). [​IMG]
    I see a pattern here: two out of three are Disney, and are notorious for having incompatibility problems with a variety of machines. the other is just a plain "cheap-ass disc."
    The discs otherwise play fine on my Samsung, KLH, DAEWOO, Zenith, and RCA players.
    The Toshiba machine is still a work horse, and has a teriffic picture through S-Video outputs. I love my Toshiba, and will replace it with another one if it ever dies. It also is one of the best players I've ever used for playing seemless branching discs, with none of the audio glitches many report when branched scenes come back to the main video stream.
    TOSHIBA ROCKS![​IMG]