What's new

Audio Dropouts...Most likeky culprit ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
I have been getting audio drop outs lately while watching movies and I need to figure which component is causing this. Any Ideas which is most likely to cause this ?

I have a Denon 4802 and a Toshiba SD-5700 connected via a coax cable.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

You might try and identify the culprit through elimination. Do the drop outs occur with both DD and DTS soundtracks? Do you get conflicting or erroneous mode indicators(DD,DTS,DPL) when the audio begins streaming into your receiver? Have you tried hooking up the analog left/right outputs from the DVD player, change the DVD audio source input to "analog" and see if the drop outs still occur. I take it this happens no matter what DVD is playing.

I assume when you say "drop out" you mean a total abscence of audio. Any other sources misbehaving?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You need to clearly define exactly what happens during a "dropout". Is it random during a movie? Does it happen one time during the middle of the movie (ie, a layer change)? Did it never happen in the past but all of a sudden it is happening now? Does it happen only on certain disks but not others?

There are many things that can cause dropouts from...

- DVD player/receiver combinations
- cables (particularly optical cables, dirty ends etc)
- slow audio sync (delay locking onto an audio signal, receiver) Will dropout at layer changes, start of movie material when switching from DD2.0 to DD5.1 or dts

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
The drop outs occur randomly while watching movies. Usually the audio goes silent for a brief moment. Similar to a layer change, but several times during the movie. I plan on doing some troubleshooting this evening just was wondering the best place to begin. Thnaks for your input.

Dave

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Check the coaxial cable between the DVD player and the receiver.
These cables should be VIDEO cables, not audio.
All video cables are made with 75 ohm coax and the specification had a video cable in mind.
An generic audio cable with RCA plugs can be made from 50, 75, 110, and 300 ohm coax.
People who have reported intermittant drop-outs in audio discovered that they were using some non-yellow RCA cable. The drop-outs were solved when they hooked in the proper cable. Spend the $15 for the AR video cable at Best Buy and give it a shot.
Hope this helps.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Did it ever work without getting dropouts. If Bob's suggestion does not work, we should do a search against that DVD player and that receiver to see if perhaps there are more hits for that problem. I know for a fact for instance that certain older brands of Toshiba DVD players experienced dropouts when mated with certain Sony receivers.

Sol_N

Grip
I'm having the same exact problem. I have an RCA DVD player hooked to a Sony receiver through coax and there's significant "dropage" of sound or signal loss while I'm playing a movie... When I set the movie to dolby 2.0, there isn't much, if any, dropage...

I'm using an audio coaxial (made by monster) cable.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated... btw, when I try the dvd player using the optical connection, there's no drops either.

Sol_N

Grip
Just a heads up... I tried a different set of coaxial audio cables with the same setup and it works perfectly. The new brand was actually $20 cheaper than the first ones I used!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I recently began having random audio dropouts, and I just started using a coax instead of optical audio, to connected my Sony DVP-NS415 to my receiver, a Sony STR DE-575
I've had my Sony receiver for almost 2 years and it never once dropped out.. not once. But last week, after changing over to coax, i've been getting random dropouts on all my discs. They never occur in the same spot.
The coax audio cable I'm using was a generic brand.. does anyone have any suggestions about the kind of cable I should be using instead.
I want to reiterate that before the cable switch, I experienced zero issues with the audio, it was working perfectly before then.
Thanks,
Joseph

Sol_N

Grip
I *highly* recommend getting the Dayton Coaxial Cable from partsexpress.com

I was experiencing dropouts with a monster coaxial cable, but when I switched to dayton, it was perfect.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
FYI, I was never getting dropouts either but all of a sudden I started getting them a year ago on my optical connection. I switched to coaxial and had no problems since. Looks like cables are very suspect in a few setups here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks