What's new

Audio dropouts and intermixing brands of components (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I remember when I used to have audio dropouts when I had my previous DVD player (Toshiba 2108) and a Sony 925 receiver. Others had posted of dropouts when combining certain Toshiba (and others) DVD players with Sony receivers (and some others). I since exchanged the DVD player for a 3108 and there were no dropouts.

My question here is, does anyone experience audio dropouts when using all the same brand (ie Sony receiver and DVD player for example)?

What is the definitive explanation from the manufacturers regarding this phenomenon? I know there are many people out there with dropout problams based on the posts I have seen.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been saying this for a while, and nobody gives a crap. I don't think it is specific to using a source and receiver of the same brand, though that could be significant also. I think it is specific combinations that DON'T work that are what some are seeing. I have not had serious issue with my particular setup, compared to what others are reporting, and I figured it is just a random thing related to which DVD and receiver I have. Someone else also mentioned this weeks ago, that the problem was reduced when switching to a player of a different brand.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
A few years ago someone noticed he was using an audio cable for his coaxial-digital connection instead of a video cable. He swapped it out and things sounded the same, but he noticed that an occasional drop-out, every 10-15 minutes, seemed to go away with the cable switch.

Is this the type of drop out you are noticing?

John H

Second Unit
When I used a Pioneer DV-09 with my Parasound AVC-2500 pre/pro the audio dropouts on DTS DVD's was very regular. This was with a coax or optical connection. I did not have a problem with DTS LD's. I actually stopped buying DTS DVD's because of this.
A friend of mine used a DV-09 paired with a Pioneer Elite receiver and never experienced an audio dropout.
When I switched to a Pioneer DV-38A player the audio dropouts disappeared completely. Shortly after I added a Sony DVP-9000ES. I haven't experienced even one dropout in over a year.
This could have been a problem with my DV-09 but I beleive it was a hardware compatibility issue.
One of the reasons the person purchased my DV-09 was to upgrade to a DTS capable player. If he experienced DTS dropouts I am sure he would have contacted me.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks