What's new

Audio drop outs and lip sync problems- Directv. (1 Viewer)

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else experiencing audio drop outs and lip sync problems with Directv? I just switched from Dish Network to Directv and am having these problems. It doesn't matter if it is coax or optical digital output on my new Samsung SIR-TS160 HD receiver. I notice the lip sync problem also on my second cheap receiver (Uniden UDS100) so it must not be the reciever. I asked Directv about the lip sync problem and they told me they have never heard of the problem.
What gives.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I get audio drop outs, but not very often. I've never noticed any lip sync problems though.

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
The audio drop outs are usually sparse but sometimes every 3-5 minutes on some programs- like when my wife watched trading spaces the other day. I recorded Behind Enemy Lines and watched about 20 minutes of it and it had 2 audio drop outs.
The lip sync problem I can notice on most channels and it bugs me. I can really notice it on my 56" widescreen but have to look closer on my 27" to see it.
I don't remember these problems a couple years ago when I had Directv and didn't have either problem with Dish Network except for one time I had drop outs on a high def movie on PPV.

Nexsen

Auditioning
If you selecet Dolby Digital or any compressed audio format any glitch at all will cause a drop out so if they are broadcasting digital audio with a drop out now and then there is no way your equipment can mask it. You might try switching your audio format to PCM (which is just stereo). A drop out in PCM often can't be heard.

As far as lip-sync error goes I cam't believe they never heard of a problem. Lip-sync varies all over the place in all broadcasts - not just theirs.
Research at Stanford 23 years ago proved most people don't notice it until it goes over 75 to 80 ms but still suffer the same negative impact. It seems when we subconsciously look away from the characters faces to avoid the impossibility (lip-sync error is impossible in the real world) we end up with the same feelings like we have when people don;t make eye contact with us.

Google "Audio Asynchrony Reeves Voelker" and I'm sure you will find that research. I use a Felston DD740 and adjust it for perfect sync and it is amazing how much it varies between programs. One migh only need 2o ms and the next might need 120 ms. It is incredible people aren't complaining right and left. But unfortunately the problem isn't the fault of any single entity. The broadcaster can screw up and make it worse but they really have no way of correcting it. It can be off when the content was produced and every digital video effect they perform on the singnal has the potential to shift it either way so when you get it your TV can delay video a little more and it's different for every TV. The only way to get it perfect is to adjust the audio delay while watching the lips.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I get lip sync issues too.
My denon had a audio delay setting.
I switch between 0 and 200ms and it generally fixes it.

Occasionally I get one that can't be adjusted.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Research at Stanford 23 years ago proved most people don't notice it until it goes over 75 to 80 ms but still suffer the same negative impact. It seems when we subconsciously look away from the characters faces to avoid the impossibility (lip-sync error is impossible in the real world) we end up with the same feelings like we have when people don;t make eye contact with us.

No way to measure it for me, but I know I'm extremely sensitive to it. I'll notice the problem when nobody else in the group I may be with senses anything.

I've got Dish, have a friend with both Dish and Direct, can't imagine why he needs both, but never noticed any problems with either provider when I've watched shows at his place. Asked if he's had problems, but everything is fine.

I'm pretty tolerant as far as sound (just use the built-in speakers in my TV, don't need one of those gosh darn new-fangled city-folk sound boxes :rolleyes: ), but there's no way I'd put up with lip-synch issues.

Of course maybe that's why I don't have issues, I'm not using any type of sound system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks