What's new

Audio Drop Out Question (1 Viewer)

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I need some help.

I bought the five star edition of Speed when it came out but hadn't had a chance to watch it until just last week. About four or five times during the film, the audio would "drop out" for a second (I think that's the correct term) and then come back. Watching the display on my receiver, the Dolby Digital 5.1 indicator goes blank during the drop outs as well.

At first I thought it was a defect disc, so I returned it, got a another copy.....the same thing happens. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen at the same locations each time (i.e. the audio skips, I rewind a couple seconds and play the clip again and it's fine)

I tried the disc in my second dvd player and it played fine the entire way through.

Now, last night the same thing happened while watching disc 2 of the MASH Second Season.

I'm pretty sure this is a hardware problem. And it's either one of three things:

1. DVD Player (A Panasonic CV-51)
2. Receiver (JVC....can't remember the model)
3. Optical cable connecting the two.

My question is: any suggestions for determining who the culprit is? Or, who the LIKELY culprit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
The optical cable is the easiest place to start.

Try hooking up the 2nd dvd player to your receiver.

-rob

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I'm having the same problem with my Sony. I'm also using an optical cable. I wonder if I should switch to coax.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I've see the "occasional audio drop-out" issue 3 times - all related to using the wrong type of coaxial-digital cable. But I agree the optical cable is the first thing to try and change.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice....

I guess I'm off to buy a new cable.

(Of course, since posting this question haven't had one drop out, and I've watched three movies)

Thanks again guys.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Certain DVD players seem to have problems when mated with certain receivers when it comes to dropouts, so much so that changing the type of DVD player OR the type of receiver eliminates the problem. As mentioned though, start with the cable as it is the easiest and most common reason for dropouts.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I've had the same problem recently with my setup and just added a new cable to the mix. Will have to see how all fairs tonight with some Monsters INC.

Kevin

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
That's the reason I use only coax cables for connections.
Never experienced audio dropout with my Onkyo receiver &
Pioneer DVD player combination.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
However, any reason why this problem would just suddenly occur? I've had my current setup for well over a year now with no problems until now.

Strange....

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, cables do sag/bend/oxidize with time. Try disconnecting & re-connecting all your cables. It's suprising what this simple step can do.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I did disconnect the optical cable and reconnected and haven't had a problem since (3 or 4 days now)

I'll probably put off getting a new cable unless the problem returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks