Audio drop out, dvd player or receivers fault???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lane F., May 17, 2002.

1. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

I have a Pioneer DV-C503 DVD player and a Sony DA50ES Receiver. Recently when watching some DVD movies the sound will just randomly cut out completely. The blue light (tells me it is receiving a 5.1 signal) on my reciever will turn off and it will default to prologic mode, but there is no sound. Sometimes after a few minutes pass the sound will kick back in and the blue light on my receiver will light up again. I have the dvd player hooked up via a digital coax cable. I have checked the connection, and it is very snug. What is weird is it did this for the first time last week, but I didnt think much of it. But since then it has done it more an more - all at random points in a movie. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue, and if you think my dvd player is dying, or the reciever...

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

This sounds like what happens when people use a audio RCA cable for the coaxial digital connection. Random drop-outs every few minutes.

Go to Radio Shack or Best Buy and buy a simple VIDEO cable and try this for the coaxial digital connection.

Audio cables can be made with 50/75/110/300 ohm coax and all work fine, but video & coaxial digital cables MUST be made with 75 ohm coax. (and hopefully the connectors are close to 75 ohms as well).

Let us know if that fixes the problem.

3. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer