What's new

Audio - Digital Coax to Optical (tos-link) convertor (1 Viewer)

Derek_R

Auditioning
My new digital cable box only supports Digital Audio Coaxial out and I have run out of coax ins on my Denon 1802 however I have some Optical ins left.

I was wondering if anyone knew of something cheap that would convert the Coax to Optical.

Thanks,
-Derek

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have the Audio Authority converter, which I previously used in a system and I believe it works either way. I got it from Markertek, www.markertek.com. I think they are around $60.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Go to radio shack and buy a Y splitter for RCA cables. As long as 1 device isn't on, it'll work and costs $5 :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff said:

Go to radio shack and buy a Y splitter for RCA cables.
Note that Derek is looking for a switch box that will allow him to feed a coaxial digital cable in and an optical digital cable out. The type of Y splitter you suggested will not work. Furthermore, I have tried Y splitters to split components with RCA cables, and they do not work. The signal is degraded in that the volume is cut down.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Radio Shack does carry a coax-to-optical adapter/converter. I don't rememebr the cost, but it is available (at least at my local Atlanta RS).

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Keith, I have 2 DVD players running in this way. A/B identical on the Y splitter. I don't know where your reduced volume is coming from, but that should never be an issue. Digital is digital and either you get the signal or you don't

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, you said:

Go to radio shack and buy a Y splitter for RCA cables.
RCA cables carry an analog signal. It seems like you did not mean to say RCA cables, especially in reply to Derek's query. I agree that there should be no volume issue with a digital switch box. I was talking about my experience with a Monster RCA cable splitter that has two female connectors on one end and a male connector on the other. These connectors (and the opposite with two male connectors and one female) are available at Tweeter for $15 each. They are used with subwoofers. Anyway, I tried these splitters for my multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio players since my receiver has just one set of 5.1-channel inputs. It did not work due to the aforementioned volume loss issue, even when just one component was turned on. I discussed this matter here months ago, and a few people shared similar experiences. These RCA splitters do not work for splitting two front-end components.

Derek_R

Auditioning
Hi guys. Thanks again for all your help.

I ended up buying the Digital Coaxial to Digital Optical (toslink) converter at partsexpress.com.

Seems to work good. I see the Dolby Digital light on but I only always see Stereo/Virtual/Dolby Prologic II as a surrond mode. No Dolby 5.1, even on the HBO channels.

Was wondering if the Digital Optical inputs on the Denon 1802 supported Dolby 5.1 or if it was just through the Digital Coaxial input?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Derek, I can't see why the optical digital inputs on the Denon AVR-1802 would not support Dolby Digital 5.1. That would be very strange. Are you sure you have the correct soundtrack selected on your DVD player?

Derek_R

Auditioning
Keith, Good question. I assumed that since my Dolby Digital light on my receiver was illuminated that it supported 5.1.

It could be the case that my Cable Box doesn't support 5.1 or Time Warner doesn't broadcast any 5.1 encoded programs.

Anyone else with Time Warner Digital Cable have this issue to?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks