What's new

Audio - Digital Coax to Optical (tos-link) convertor (1 Viewer)

Derek_R

Auditioning
My new digital cable box only supports Digital Audio Coaxial out and I have run out of coax ins on my Denon 1802 however I have some Optical ins left.

I was wondering if anyone knew of something cheap that would convert the Coax to Optical.

Thanks,
-Derek

Eric_Lakes

Agent
Derek_R,

I wouldnt use any converters. Why dont you use the Optical cable for your DVD player and use the CoAxial for your Digital Cable Box instead.

FYI: I think Partsexpress.com has some sort of converter.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Rat Shack also sells these things. Also does Midiman (the company that manufactures studio gears) for approximately US$ 40

why wouldn't anybody use converters? Major recording studios use them. Moreso, I used to use them for my studio as well as my HT, no change in sound quality.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
No reason not to use convertors, I suppose; but in Derek's case I think putting a convertor in the chain would be more likely to make a bigger difference in the sound than using an optical instead of a coaxial connector for a single device.

I've gone back and forth comparing the two and, although I can hear a difference, it ain't that decisive a difference, IMO.

Derek_R

Auditioning
Thanks for all your help.

I ended up purchasing the Digital Coax To Optical converter at Parts Express.

I have had it for about a few weeks and can honestly say I've had no problems with it. I sense no lack of sound quality, no buzz, hum or external noise what so ever.

I recommend it to anyone looking for such a solution.

Again, thanks for all your help.

-d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks