What's new

Audio Differences Between Denon 2200 and 2900 (1 Viewer)

JasonLaz

Agent
Was wondering with those that have experience, what kind of difference in sound am I likely to hear if I went with the more expensive Denon 2900 over the 2200 DVD players? Are we talking a signifigant change for the better or diminishing returns improvement for the price jump?

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Please do a search, this has been covered many times.

Denon 2200 or 2900?

If music is your priority, the DACS in the 2900 are slightly better and offer improved sound. I'm sure your speakers will need to be fairly decent in order to "hear" a difference. Even then from all of the feedback I have read I am under the impression that the difference is not worth the $400 premium.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I would say that unless you plan to sit and actively listen (not do something else while music is on in the background) then the differences will be moot (especially if your speakers are not up to the task of revealing subtle sonic differences).

[rant]In the past couple of months, as I've upgraded my entire audio system (from what almost all my friends and family already considered rather good) I've been asked why bother spending the money? My response has usually been greeted with looks of confusion and/or polite smiles (the way you respond to things you don't understand from people you like). And my response is: I like to LISTEN to music. Not have it on in the background while reading, surfing the Web, cleaning house, or whatever. I do like to have music on during many of those activities, but I also like to just listen. Almost no one I know comprehends that I (or anyone, for that matter) could possibly just sit and listen to music. "Don't you get bored?" or "Don't you fall asleep?" are the two most frequent replies to my statement that I like to sit and listen to music. When I don't get those queries, I'm met with the polite smile/confused look I mention above.[/rant]

Glad I got that off my chest. To get back to you question about the two players: if you are like my friends and family, then save yourself some money. If you're like me, listen to both and go with the one that sounds best to you (it may not necessarily be the more expensive option, but you should try each one out).

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
also, don't forget that the new denon models are coming out soon, supposedly. the 2910 and 3910 to replace the 2200 and 2900. not much info on them yet, but there should be soon.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
actually the 2910 and 3910 are replacing the 2900 and 5900 respectively. i personally got my eye on the 3910.

eric

JasonLaz

Agent

Here is a snip from the press release:

"DVD-3910: Reference-Quality Universal DVD Player Performance
The DVD-3910 includes virtually all of the advanced features, image enhancement technologies and audio benefits first introduced in Denon’s acclaimed DVD-5900 DVD player, all for a significantly reduced price of $1,299 suggested retail. To ensure unsurpassed digital video image reproduction, for instance, the DVD-3910 features dual discrete Analog Devices ADV-7310 12-bit/216MHz video D/A converters—one for the progressive scan video circuit and one for the interlaced circuit.

The player also delivers the ultimate in audio performance, with full digital bass management for high-resolution audio formats provided by dual Analog Devices SHARC processors, along with built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound decoding. Performance is enhanced further through the use of leading-edge 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converters, along with the latest version of Denon’s exclusive AL24 Processing Plus circuit, which now operates in 24-bit/192kHz on all channels, using sophisticated interpolation algorithms and digital filtering to improve low-level resolution and dynamic range. In addition, it incorporates IEEE-1394 audio outputs (PCM/DSD compatible).

Adding yet another level of utility and convenience, the DVD-3910 features the latest version of Denon’s proprietary DENON Link technology. When connected to a Denon receiver with Denon Link functionality, such as the AVR-5803, the receiver can accept digital audio data directly from the DVD players’ transport sections for the ultimate level of sonic performance. The data can then be decoded and processed by the receiver’s digital electronics for the absolute highest level of audio quality available today—with full digital bass management."

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
If I can get that 3910 at under a grand, that's the ticket all the way!

JasonLaz

Agent

I don't think the 3910 is replacing the 5900, it's just trickle down effect where the old technology is making its way into the newer lower models. There is the 5910 coming sometime in 2005 that will have new features on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks