Audio Delay when using TIVO -- solutions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I ahve had my TIVO for about 3-4 months now and I love it. It has totally changed our tv watching and we never use a vcr anymore. No more remembering to set the vcr to tape something; recalling which tape it is on; where on the tape it is .... Anyway, one gripe I have with it is as follows. Due to the nature of the system, there is time delay on the shows. Not that big of a problem, exxcept for the the following. I have digital cable and some movies on HBO (not many) do have dolby 5.1 sound coming through. However, since the TIVO has no digital in/out, the only way to decode it would be by going from the cable box to the receiver. However, when doing that, the sound and picture are not synchronized (due to the aforementioned delay in the TIVO). I was jsut wondering if anyone came up with a solution to solve this problem or does everyone just accept it as one flaw in the TIVO system.

Thanks,

Allan

2. PaulG

PaulG Stunt Coordinator

You are bypassing the TiVo with the audio, so bypass the TiVo with the video as well.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm afraid Paul's suggestion is the only option available to us right now. It's not like you're giving up anything, since current standalone TiVos can't record the DD signal anyway.

M.

4. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

The Direct TiVos called combo units or DTiVos do an excellent job of recording the DD signal and PQ is much better so anyone who uses DD should consider a DTiVo and DTV. I think the standalones were designed to replace the VCR with a better PQ. But the DTiVos were designed to replace a standard DTV receiver w/DD but record the programming to disk.

5. Michael Reuben

6. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Michael-

I live on the upper east side, and direct tv/sat is not an option. Also, re: your comment about not giving up anything b/c the TIVO can't record the DD -- I disagree. You would be able to at least watch something in DD even if you couldn't record it.

take care,

allan

7. Michael Reuben

I also live on the Upper East Side, so I feel your pain re: DirecTV.

8. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Michael-

That all makes sense. One question though -- I have s-video going from cable box to tivo to tv. Can I add a composite cable (yellow video cable) from the cable box directly to the tv in addition to the s-video to the tivo? I guess my question is -- how does the cable box "know" whether to export the video signal through the S-video cable to the tivo OR through the composite cable to the tv? Or, does it always export both at the same time??

thanks,

allan

9. Michael Reuben

Allan --

Time Warner has used so many different models of cable box over the years that anything is possible. But chances are good that the box is sending out a signal through all of the video outputs at the same time. So your idea of S-video to the TiVo and composite to the TV should work.

You're already ahead of me, as you can probably tell from the steps I outlined. You've gone to digital cable, while I'm still using an analog box that's about 6 years old (and doesn't even have S-video output). Someday I'll upgrade, but I'm in no hurry.

M.

10. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Michael-

You should make the move to TW digital cable. It is not that much more expensive, especially if you have cable on more than 1 tv. (Each additional tv only costs $1 no matter what programming package you get.) Plus, each pay channel has multiple chanells (ie 5 or 6 HBOs....) LAstly, the program guide is much much better.

allan

11. Michael Reuben

You're right; I should upgrade. It's not the cost that holds me back -- it's the prospect of having to integrate a new cable box into an already complicated setup. Plus the TW technicians flip out when they see what I've done. [​IMG]
    They're supposed to be offering a box with built-in HT decoding. That may finally push me over the edge.
    M.