1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Audio connections for a DVD and an Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Flynn, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

On my Aiwa mini-system I have RCA 5.1 inputs that I'm currently using for my DVD player.
    I want to connect my Xbox to take advantage of the 5.1 audio, but apparently the 5.1 connection will be done via an optical cable.
    Is there a product that will take the signal from an optical cable and split it into the RCA style connections?
    And finally, if that product is available, how would I go about splitting the audio connections from my DVD and my Xbox to connect them both to my mini-system?

2. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

um, sounds like it's time to buy a new reciever man-
    you could prolly get an inexpensive dts recciever just for the price of all of the cabling that setup would require.
    (a toslink and 10 RCA interconnects, for 2 sets of analog inputs; sheesh. thats $200 at bestbuy already)

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

With the stereo system you have, there's no way to make use of the digital connections on the Xbox.
    Your Aiwa is "digital ready" meaning that it has no onboard decoder of it's own. It has to rely on the DVD player to do the digital decoding. That's why you have 6 channel outputs on your DVD player...it has it's own digital decoder.
    Since your Aiwa has no decoder of it's own, it won't have any digital connections, so you're out of luck using the Xbox's digital capablilties with your current setup.
    The above post is right in the fact that you'd be doing yourself a favor by getting yourself a digital receiever, but wrong in saying that there is a way to convert an optical output to 6 channel analog in without an external decoder thrown in the mix (which would be more expensive than upgrading your receiver).

4. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

mike-
    to be REALLY honest, I wasn't even considering the processing at all- i was merely thinking of the phyical connections, and the sheer ammount of interconnects required in the suggested scenario.
    for a gaming/ht reciever, i would check out the harman kardon avr 120 or 220- For it's price range, this thing has a HUGE ammount of digital inputs (3 toslink optical, 3 coax digital) which should be great to hook up a ps2, xbox AND gamecube, as well as a dvd player and a set top box down the road.
    [Edited last by Rob Robinson on November 05, 2001 at 02:15 PM]