Audio connection question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Richard_Brodsky, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Richard_Brodsky

I just bought a Samsung 32" LCD TV to replace my Sony WEGA XBR. I also have a Panny DVD S-77, an XBOX, a Direct TV Tivo receiver and a Denon AVR-3803 HT receiver. I have the receiver connected via component to the Samsung (no HDMI on the Denon) and I've connected the DVD via HDMI to the Samsung directly. I also have the optical out of the DVD going to the Denon. Would it be better to run the optical cable from the Samsung to the input of the Denon as opposed to running it from the DVD to the Denon or would there be no difference in terms of quality? What is the purpose of running audio FROM the TV to the receiver?

2. wpgWiggum

wpgWiggum Extra

I ran audio from the TV to my Receiver when my plain cable went straight to the TV (as my receiver didn't have the proper coax termination) and I still wanted TV sound (stereo) to play on my receiver.

3. Richard_Brodsky

Well my satellite goes to my receiver and then component to the TV. When I get my HD satellite box, it will be HDMI to the TV directly. But I'm wondering if there's any difference between running optical out from the receiver to the TV or optical out from the TV to the receiver?