Audio connection from DVD to Receiver

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by mikeMarz, Mar 21, 2005.

1. mikeMarz

mikeMarz Extra

My dvd player can play SACD, DVD-Audio, and regular DVDs.

Do the digital outputs handle all the audio? Or do I need to hook up the 5.1 channel outputs for SACDs and/or DVDs?

Which digital audio connection has better quality, digital coax or optical digital?

Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Some will say yes, but IMHO they are one and the same. The difference is in the cost of the cable. You can get inexpensive ones that will work (as long as the workmanship is not inferior) or you can spend hundreds (thousands??) if you want. Cheapest solution is to purchase a plain ole' 75 Ohm composite video cable (the yellow one) for $5 and use it for the coax. The coax spec was built to use a 75 Ohm video cable, despite what the "Expressly made for DIGITAL!!!" marketing hype will tell you.

3. mikeMarz

mikeMarz Extra

Thanks a lot!! The salespeople at Best buy always try to get you to use not only the brand that costs the most, but the model that costs the most, and I think that's B.S. I bought a DVD player there once for about $100 and the salesman told me I needed to buy component video cables that cost the same price!! Come to think about it, I belive the DVD player was less than $100!

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You can use a $5 cable, but I doubt it will be the best choice. I'd use a decent cable for both optical or digital, but you don't need to spend $100 to get a decent one. $20-30 should be fine for most needs.

Coaxial has a more solid connection, IMO, which is why I use it whenever available.