What's new

Audio connection from DVD player to A/V Receiver (1 Viewer)

matthewTo

Auditioning
Was wondering if anyone had an idea on which produces the better signal, digital coaxial connection or the digital optical? Please help with some explaination. Thanks.

Bo-Cephus

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've heard, most folks prefer the optical connection - both are digital (and really good), but optical is the way most folks would go, unless cost or a limited number of optical inputs would prevent it.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
There should be no difference in quality as they both transmit a digital signal. One advantage of optical is that interference from power cords or other cables is less likely, but with a well shielded coax cable that isn't clamped to a power cord or something, it's a matter of choice.

Mort

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
On the other hand, optical cable is far more fragile, so if its going to pass any tight places where it could get pinched or kinked, or get a sharp 90 degree turn, you are better off with coax.

TommyHawk

Grip
There's a good article about this in the FAQ, though I can't seem to locate the thing now. Basically, and as has been said, they both deliver a stellar digital signal, so the decision is yours on which way to go.

I had an optical cable for a while, and I thought it did sound as good as my coax. But I was constantly worried about the "bend radius", then when we moved my friend jerked on the thing when it was caught and ruined it. Coax is my way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks