Audio connection for a DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Matt_Briol, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Matt_Briol

Matt_Briol Agent

Can I get 5.1 sound with my DVD player using the standard 2 RCA plugs or do I need something else?

2. Kha:T

Kha:T Agent

I don't think you can...You'll need either an optical cable or a coaxial digital cable.

3. Matt_Briol

Matt_Briol Agent

thanks for the quick reply

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No, the stereo outputs provides strictly stereo. You can then apply matrix processing, such as Pro Logic, Neo 6, logic 7, Circle surround, or other DSP modes to create a surround soundfield, but to get DD/DTS 5.1, you need to use a digital connection.

The exception is with DVD players that have on-board decoders, but you would be using a full complement of 6 analog connections out to your receiver. Also, DVD-A/SACD players must use 6 analog connections to get the high-res audio from those sources, as there is no standard digital transmission format for DVD-A/SACD due to copyright concerns.

5. Matt_Briol

Matt_Briol Agent

So optical will work fine for DVDs right?

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, optical or digital coax both output the same thing, either will work dandy. I recommend coax only because its cheaper and it does the same thing. Any 75ohm coax will suffice. As such you can pick up any regular video cable and be just fine, or you can get a "digital coax" which is just 75ohm and is the same thing. Or you can use optical. It really doesn't matter.

7. Matt_Briol

Matt_Briol Agent

Can I get DD/DTS 5.1 with the 6 analog connections? My DVD player has them but I don't know if it has an on-board decoder.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If it has 6 analog outputs, it very much most likely does have on-board decoders. However, it is still usually preferable to let your receiver do the decoding, usually bass management, time alignment, and other options are better in the receiver, though DAC quality can vary. You can try each and use whichever sounds better. Which player do you have? If you run some searches to look up the specs online, it will likely tell you if it has on-board decoders, and whether that includes DTS decoding too or just DD.

9. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

As Chris W said, you can but its crazy. Why have 6 cables when you can get away with one ? With the 6 analog cables, your depending on 12 RCA jack connections to get everything safely to the receiver. A single optical or 75 ohm coaxial cable is the way to go.

10. Matt_Briol

Matt_Briol Agent

Err one last question, did you say that a "coax" is the same as a normal video cable? The plugs look exactly the same.

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Video cables and audio cables are usually constructed of coaxial cable. The only thing to watch for, is that video cables and digital audio coax cables need to be 75ohm, while analog audio cables do not (though they tend to be). So you can use cables that are sold as "digital coax" or "video" cables, or any other cables labeled as 75ohm interchangeably for these tasks, as well as for analog audio, however, you should not use analog audio cables unless you know for a fact that they are 75ohm cables. Then they're fine.

12. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

because most people that have the 6-channel analog outputs already have the 6 analog cables hooked up for hirez sacd and/or dvd-a playback. as chris said, where you should do the decoding depends upon the quality of the player's dacs versus the receiver's. of course, only a 5.1 setup can be passed through the analog connection; a 6.1 (or greater) setup WILL require a digi connection. my player and receiver are from the same manufacturer and probably have similar if not identical dacs. i play my dd/dts dvds as 5.1 through my player's 6-channel analog connection because it allows me to leave my receiver in it's "pure direct" mode. i have also calibrated the analog external inputs identically to the receiver's digi connection calibration so that i can use either connection with identical results.