What's new

audio clipping on my ATI AIW capture card (1 Viewer)

I have the ATI AIW Radeon 7500 capture card (the $90 one from newegg.com), it is working great, but occasionally the audio clips. Here are the settings I use:

44KHz, 16bit, Stereo through SB Live! Line-In

Variable Bit Rate, 400KB. 1.00M bit per sec

Mpeg-2

Any ideas on what it could be? It is a p42.0 w/ a gig of pc2100 ram.

thanks

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have the same video card as you do.

If you haven't already, try running the "ATI Multimedia Center Configuration" program. Click on the "PC Check" tab and press the "Run Tests" button. This will test various components on your PC to see if it is up to the task of capturing video.

Also, close any other programs you have running while you are capturing video. (One site recommended that you even disable the little clock in the lower right corner of the screen.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is there a Input volume control for the sound card's input? That might be set to the Max level, and probably needs to be lowered a little bit.

I have run that system check and everthing came out ok and I have tweaked with the volume a little bit, I will test some more when I get time. I'm going to try switching between line-in and microphone (But I can't find the pref./option area that allows me to change that :frowning: )

Jeff, What video format/settings do you capture in?

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I use VirtualDub (which is free) to capture the video. I use the HuffYUV video codec (which is lossless) when I am capturing, and capture the audio uncompressed. I usually capture at NTSC settings (720x480, 29.97 fps)

Doom9.org has a video capture tutorial that has more info. (It also has links to these codecs and programs that I am talking about.)

The resulting AVI file will be quite large, so you'll probably want to convert it to another format afterward. If you have DVD burning software, it may be able to convert the AVI file to MPEG-2 format. I don't have a DVD burner yet, so I haven't tried that. Another program that can encode MPEG-2 is called BBMPEG.

On my computer (running windows XP), you access it by Start | Accessories | Entertainment | Volume Control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks