Audio Centron/SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guy Usher, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

As usual I need help, I just bought an Audio Centron RMA 1600 Power Amp that I hope at some point to power my SVS 2039 woofer.
    This is a Pro type amp XLR/ 1/4" phone jacks, I assume a balanced inpit (1st problem)
    Also I can find no information about this amp, I know it is 250x2 @ 8ohms, 450X2 @ 4ohms and 800x1 @ 8ohms, well over 1000x1 @ 4ohms.
    My intention is to use 1 channel only to power my SVS sub, I want to clean this old monster up first, It works perfectly but is nasty looking, a can of semi-flat black will fix that.
    Does anyone know anything about this amp and will it be a big problem going from unbalanced to the balanced inputs on the back of this thing? I have found transformers at about $150 for this???

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Guy,
    Chances are that the 1/4" inputs on your amp are of the unbalanced variety. In that case you'll just need an RCA-1/4" adapter from Radioshack for a few bucks. Please be VERY careful if you're just going to spray paint the chasis. I would actually see about removing the parts you want to paint and reassemble when dry. Finally, as good a sub as the 20-39 may be, I think using over 1000watts on it will be a waste. 450watts should be more than enough and that will leave you with a spare amp channel for another SVS down the road. Or, but a Tumult and then use the amp in bridge mode. [​IMG]

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I intend to use only 1 channel on this amp for this sub. I dont care to use bridged amps anyway.