Audio CD changer suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron S, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking of getting a new CD player, preferrably in the 300 price range. Changer capabilities would be nice. No plans yet for SACD or DVD-A. I just need a simple audio CD changer with 200 or so capacity. But I would really like above all else for it to be a "quality" component.
    Running with an Onkyo 696, SVS 30-39 cs, and (soon to be) nOrh 4.0 ceramic package.
    I would hate to have to play all my audio cd's on the panny rp56, as the settings there are optimized for HT ( heavy on the base). Too much of a pain to reset the db levels for audio or dvd, each time I use it and have a diff source.
    Need help, and thanks for listening [​IMG]

2. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I recommend a new or used Sony ES 5 disk changer (CA80ES or CA70ES), a Denon DCM-370, or a Marantz CC-4000. They're all great products. I personally prefer the Sony ES line for sound (very clear and accurate DACs), or the Denon DCM-370 for features (HD-CD capability)... I feel the Marantz isn't as attractive from an audio standpoint, but some people really like the warm sound they produce. IMO, I'd rather get the "warmth" from my speakers or amplification, not my DACs. But that's just my POV.
    Audition those, I'm sure one of them will fit your needs.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Oh, you want a mega-changer... well, I'd still look into those brands (you'll probably have to buy used), or check out Pioneer. I would personally avoid the regular Sony line, JVC, Technics, TEAC, and most of the other regular "department store" lines. I've found that the vast majority are simply crap.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

You don't mention what your price range is, so I'll just recommend what I've liked best in the past.
    I've sold 4 or 5, and actually owned and used an Onkyo DVM-301 DVD/CD changer and I thought that it sounded pretty darn good. If 5 discs is enough, the Denon 3700 DVD player sounded as good as the Denon DCM-370 CD player when playing back CDs and the 370 with its' BB DACs sounded pretty darn good. I also owned a Pioneer Elite PD-F19 301 CD Changer and it may have sounded better than all the above units for playback of regular CDs. The Denon 370 and 3700 were warmer and more listenable, but the Pioneer may have been somehow more accurate.?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

5. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

I've had a Pioneer PD-F1039 ($300/300 discs/CD-Text/PS2 keyboard input/custom groups) for about nine months now and I absolutely love it - couldn't go back to a carousel changer if you paid me. The only real competition for Pioneer in this price range is the consumer line Sonys with 400 disc capacity/on screen display/Internet ability. Sony definately has the edge in features, but I've never found Sony CD players to be reliable, with the exception of the Playstation. My first CD player however, a ten-year old Pioneer, is still spinning discs for my mom. As always, YMMV.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John said:

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

If interested, i have a Sony M-333ES mega changer for sale for $300.00 shipped. I've had it for a few months,never fully loaded it. It's practically brand new. Everythings in the original box. Email me.
    - Chip
    ------------------

8. Mike_Ol

Mike_Ol Auditioning

I second the Sony ES recommendation. I picked up the CX90ES 200 cd changer for $300 used and I'm very happy with it. I have it paired with a MSB Link Dac and honestly I may have to get rid of the MSB - the difference in sound from the Sony's dac is very subtle.
    Mike

9. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

One more vote for the Sony ES series..I have the CA70ES and it ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!...You can daisy chain 2 more of them and have 15 discs at your fingertips. I am VERY leary of these mega disc changers!!!!
    If you read the Pioneer Elite website..they even caution the use of them!!! With the mega changers, if you put an odd # of CD's in (meaning 250 in a 400 capacity) the uneven weight of the CD's can cause disruption in the tray's mechanics. They do sell a 100 disc changer I am interested in for they designed what appears to be a better system of distributing the weight but how lazy can someone be that they can't get 5 CD's they might want to listen to (I mean who has the time to listen to 5 CD's in 1 sitting anyway???). I say just get a nice 5 disc player that has the option to link to other ones.
    Mike

10. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the info, people!
    Time to start hoofing it and auditioning the Sony and Pioneer units. Wasn't aware of the imbalance issue with megachangers... May just have to load up ALL my cd's to keep it full!
    A 5 cd carousel would be adequate for most uses, agreed, but the point of the megachanger is to have all your music at your fingertips, no need to open cases, find that cd that you haven't heard in a while.
    If the quality of the playback was "significantly" worse than, say, a 5 cd changer, then I would probably opt for the smaller capacity. Enjoy the sound of the music more than I would the convenience. Not a "real" audiophile (yet, hehe), but upgraditis may get me in the future [​IMG] Guess I should add a few of the smaller capacity units in the audition list.
    This truly is an amazing site. I can't think of any other website where so many knowledgeable people take time from their busy day to share their opinions and know-how.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ron, I would talk to Chip about the Sony CDP-M333ES 400-disc megachanger he is selling for $300. That's a great price for an ES megachanger that has hardly been used. Note that the 'M333ES retails for $600.
    You said:

12. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Lol, i never heard of any problem with an uneven load in a mega changer either but, to clarify my saying "i never fully loaded it"...i actually only had 10 discs in the changer for about 10 weeks.
    - Chip [​IMG]
    ------------------

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I've never heard of imbalance issues with megachangers either. I can see what Pioneer is saying, but megachangers aren't used like a centrifuge. It's not like the carousel spins continuously at high speed. Still, something to beware of from now on is not to open the door to the megachanger when the carousel is spinning. You wouldn't want to be hit in the face with CDs. Remember Outbreak? [​IMG]
    In all seriousness, one of my Sony CDP-CX333ES megachangers is full, but the other one has only 180 CDs loaded (of 300 slots). For the latter player, the 180 CDs are loaded in the first 180 slots, as opposed to them being spread out evenly (or as evenly as possible). Both units have performed flawlessly. Admittedly, I don't work these players too hard. The megachangers are for casual listening, while I use other players for critical listening.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

15. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

I was relaying what I read on the Pioneer Website. I rechecked their website after I posted that comment and the review section (it was before they revamped their website) is no longer there for me to cut and paste the reviewers comment. I have no personal experience in owning a Mega disc changer myself. Hell I only own about 120 CDs and listen to the same 20-25 anyways!!! Which is sad, since I was one of the early people to even own a CD player when I was 14 in 1986..The choices of CD's was sooo limited back then and I remember paying $18-20.00 per CD (Cinderella: Night Songs was my first!)..Love the hair bands!!!
    Does anyone have any experience with the Sony CX90ES 200 disc changer? It retails for 1100.00. Are there any online retailers who sell ES equipment cheaper?
    Mike