Audio Cassette Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by kumar, Jun 6, 2003.

1. kumar

I am not sure how many of you still listen to your favorite numbers from tapes, but I do!! [​IMG]

I have quite a lot of my collection in audio tapes and I am currently in the market looking for a 2 deck cassette player.

Sharing any suggestions/advice based on your experience will be much appreciated.
    I am still dreaming of that day when I will convert all my audio tapes to CDs (I have more than 300 of them) Hmmmmm.......... [​IMG]

My budget is about $250 bucks.

2. Philip Hamm

I have had good luck with Sony decks. Take a look at my home theater page and you'll see a cheap $130 dual deck from a few years ago. I think Pioneer decks are really good also.

3. Dan Driscoll

Check Audiogon for used decks. Yamaha and Nakamichi both made some very nice cassette decks that are real cheap on the used market now.

4. Danny Tse

I still own a Sony TC-K670 3 head 3motor cassette deck. And I have 300+ albums on cassettes, now stored in 2 huge Case Logic carrying cases.

I would look into a new Sony ES cassette deck, or perhaps a Yamaha.

5. gregD

Go for a used Nakamichi if possible... be careful buying used, of course... lotsa moving, mechanical parts in a cassette that wear over time.

A new / refurbished Marantz dual cassette can be had for $150 at AC4L.com... I referred a buddy to them for that same piece, and he's way happy with it.

6. Craig Robertson

i had a high end Yamaha cassette deck some years ago that was really good. i don't listen to tapes anymore, but i wish i still had it, just cause it was such a nice piece of gear.
    Nakamichi has an excellent reputation, of course, but i don't have any experience with their products.

7. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the Pioneer 606, it has a 20 bit DAC for processing music. But if you add a little more money, you can get a good CD recorder and transfer all your tapes to CD. Worked great for me.

8. KeithH

I had the Pioneer CT-W606DR, and it was a very good deck. The only reason I got rid of it was because, like most cassette decks, it lacked a remote. I ended up replacing it with the now-discontinued Sony TC-KA2ES, which was a very good deck when it worked. It's broken on me twice (maxed out right channel during playback). I'm done having it repaired. It just sits on the shelf now. [​IMG]

9. Philip Hamm

Sony decks like mine have a "R" symbol on the front and will work with the SOny tape deck codes on OneForAll remotes. I've used mine with a remote for years even though it didn't come with one. That is cool. :)

10. KeithH

Philip, I should have mentioned that I ordered a Sony cassetted deck remote from Sony. It works for a number of models.

11. RobWil

As far as playback and recording quality combined you would be hard-pressed to find a better deck than the Harman Kardon TD 7400 and you could probably find it used for less than $75. This unit originally retailed at $450 and this was back in 1992 or so. Only problem is it's a single deck, which quality-wise isn't a problem at all.

12. David Susilo

I love my Denon 790R professional deck. The features include:

1. 3 motors
    2. 3 heads
    3. Dolby B/C/S/HX-PRO
    4. Auto Tape Calibration
    5. Manual Bias Adjust
    6. Pitch Control
    7. Return to Zero

price was US$400