What's new

Audio calibration question (1 Viewer)

Charles Scott

Auditioning
I just bought a Denon DVD-2200 SACD/DVD-A player and have a question about doing the audio calibration on it. I am using a Marantz SR5300 reciever for power. I started by adjusting the audio level on the Denon using a Radio Shack sound meter. Everything sounds pretty good listening to SACD and Dvd-A. I was looking through the set up menu on the Marantz reciever and noticed that you can also calibrate the 6 channel analog channels too. So I guess my question is which unit do I rely on for calibration? Right now I left the reciever's level at the default setting and only adjusted the Denon. Any help out there?? Thanks in advance.

Charles

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
When I had a Marantz SR-96, it too had separate trims for the 6 CH in.

I always used those to adjust channel levels, and left my Pioneer 45A universal players levels set to "fixed".

I suppose it should not matter either way, but the Pioneer was known to have somewhat low outputs levels, so I opted to run them at fixed (equal to maximum if I was setting it to "variable") and tweak via the Marantz. No scientific reason to do so, but that's what I did.

BGL

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you should definitely calibrate from the audio player. that way, you include the entire "signal chain" in your calibration.

if you only calibrate the receiver, you ignore the potential influence of the player and/or the cables.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

I think the question is really just which trims to use. You would still play a test disc in the player. As such, the entire chain is part of the process.

BGL

Charles Scott

Auditioning
OK, just for the heck of it I went back and set the Denon dvd player to fixed and recalibrated with the reciever. What I noticed is that the sound output is much higher. The way I had everything set before was much lower. I had to remember to lower the volume on my reciever quite a bit when switching from SACD/DVD-A to DVD-Video. I don't think there is really any difference in the the detail or dynamics of the sound, I just don't have to crank the volume up as much. I guess for convienance I will leave it this way for now. Thanks for the input, if you have anymore thoughts please let me know.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks