Audio Cables To Connect Pre/Pro to Amp

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Arron H, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I am getting ready to add a Rotel RMB1075 and to use my Yamaha receiver as a pre/pro. Are there any decent cables out there that don't cost an arm and a leg? The salesman is trying to sell me monster cables costing $50-$80 per set. I would end up spending $130 for the cheaper monsters and $205 for the more expensive ones. Is there a cheaper way without compromising too much in quality?

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Arron,

This is a prototypical “wires” question that supposes an infinite scale of quality, when in fact we only need to meet physical limits much below these $150-$250 cables. When we get into the near-boutique range, we’re looking at aesthetics beyond, say, locking RCA connectors.

We’re looking at fairly low-voltage audio signals here from the preouts to the massive amplifier. Not much is needed beyond quality construction that includes RCA connectors that lock or secure tightly to avert droop-sag weight on the preouts and sufficient flexibility to make the journey betw the two units. My Yamaha spec sheet says the preouts output a piddily 2.6V. Don’t need a horse-collar cable for this, do we?

AR Pro audio cables are fine; Outlaw Audio’s copper cables are fine. Heck, I succumbed to this "quality" upgrade fever and sent off for five CatCables Coppercats. Very nicely constructed by Doug, but no one sees them back there and I think it was sorta overkill today.

bill

3. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Thanks, Bill. I didn't think that I needed to spend that much on cables for this purpose. Do you know how much each of the cables you suggested goes for?

4. Geoff H

Geoff H Stunt Coordinator

I've the very same setup as you (Yamaha w/ RMB-1075)

Kimber Kable's *Tonik* are about $45 per half-meter pair. I honestly couldn't tell a difference between them and the $140 "Hero".

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Outlaw's best feature is the locking
    RCA; they only sell in pairs (w/no return policy) at ~$50 pr 1.5 mtr. Ok, not cheap for 3 pair.

AR Pro (at partsexpress.com) is more costly than I recalled: $35 for one 3 ft?

Now Dayton Audio or the house brand at partsexpress.com is more economical at $15 for 1.5 mtr and $19 for 6 ft. Go there are call up
    Part 181-662 to get to the page.

I"m curious what the one-man Bluejeans cable shop might charge for similar lengths in a Belden RG-59 type (flexible) cable.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I would look into many of the custom builders selling stuff.

I would say, from my experience, you could do 6 analog lines from Canare supplies at like 3 feet for like $75 or so for the batch. Would be as good as/better than monster, and could be custom lengths.

7. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Geoff,

I'm curious, how do you like the Yamaha/Rotel combo? What are the major differences that you have noticed by using the Rotel's amps verses the Yamaha's amps? I will be using an RXV-1200/1075 combo.

8. Geoff H

Arron,

Mostly bottom end. Punchier. Speakers sound. . . "bigger". Female voices sound more realistic. The person who sold me my amp said that the volume "wouldn't be that much different", but for me the amp was a remarkable difference, I found to get the same volume as the Yamaha (rxv-1300), I'd have to turn it down about 8 db. Again, it's not just a "volume" difference. Could be even bigger with the 1200 as it's 80 wpc (I think).

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong. Gives one the opportunity to upgrade the processor somewhere down the line too. [​IMG]

9. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Geoff,

Yep, 80wpc for the 1200. Just curious, what speakers are you using?

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

When I got my Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 amplifier I was pleasantly surprised to find that it came with five stout audio cables in the box! That's what I'm using, and they seem to work fine. These are arguably the most important cables in your system. I'm not much of a cable believer, but I do believe in well shielded well terminated stout cables. I've found that in general, you get a lot of "bang-for the buck" with AudioQuest cables. I've got lots of 'em in my system.

Though I'm a big believer in Radio Shack Gold cables this is one place where I'd probably not use them.

11. Geoff H

Arron,

B&W all around: Mains - DM602 S3, Center - LCR 60 S3, Surrounds - DM600 S3, and ASW-600 Sub. B&W go well with Rotel -- they're the same company afterall.

Geoff