Audio Cables Question

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Tim Beebe, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Tim Beebe

Tim Beebe Stunt Coordinator

Tim
    Oops. I need some help. I got the Component and S-Video cables I needed. I didn't realize that it wouldn't come with the audio as well. :b The only experience i've really had previously with these kinds of cables are video games, and everything comes together with them. So, anyway, what cable do I need? Does this work?
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=181-622
    For anyone that's too lazy, it's a Dayton Coaxial Digital Cable... help me out with one other thing. That's just one cable, correct? Meaning I'd need to buy two, one for the left audio and one for the right audio? Am I right on that?

Edit: It's the DAYTON COAXIAL DIGITAL CABLE 1.5' from parts express. Part Number 181-622. It's for the audio from the receiver to television and for an xbox to the receiver. And I'm sure everything has regular RCA input/outputs. What's an RCA patch cord?

Edit2: A patch cable is just a cable that has the left and right audio "connected," right?

Edit3: What are the differences/benefits between a coaxial digital connection (RCA jack, usually colored orange) & a normal analog audio (usually one red and one white). This will be for a 5.1 surround system. If any more info is needed, just ask. [​IMG] Sorry for not being the most informed person ever. If there's a place anyone knows of that I can read up on these, let me know. I read the FAQ here but it didn't describe in detail... Thanks in advance!

2. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

you're link doesn't work. are we talking about a dvd player? if so, you only need 1 digital cable to hook the audio from the dvd player to the reciever. make sure that the dvd player and reciever have the same kind of digital connection. if you're hooking to the tv or a none 5.1+ reciever, then you need 1 pair of rca patch cords. hope this helps.

3. Tim Beebe

Tim

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You’ve kind of left us shooting in the dark here, Tim. You didn’t tell us what you’re trying to connect. Or what you’re trying to connect it to.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Cornelius

Cornelius Stunt Coordinator

A coaxial digital connection (RCA jack, usually colored orange) requires a single 75 ohm coaxial cable like the Dayton one you described. Normal analog audio requires two RCA cables (usually one red and one white). You could use two of the Dayton ones you described, but you wouldn't get any benefit doing so and it will probably be more expensive than getting a double analog audio cable.

CJ

6. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

just go out and buy audio cables( one is red and one will be white) i could not tell if the cable that where in the link where red and white. you will need two of them. one for component and one for the s-vidio cable. have fun.

7. Tim Beebe

Tim
    Got it. [​IMG]