What's new

Audio cables or Video cables? (1 Viewer)

DanielKee

Auditioning
This is my current train of thought. These high end video cables such as DVI to DVI in 25' or longer lengths are'nt cheap. I'm thinking I'll buy a 25' audio cable and a 3' video cable and place my DVD player next to the projector. Will I get a better signal transfer by doing this or not?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Maybe not better, but probably not worse. Are you using optical or digital coax for audio? A 25' optical cable could cost an arm and a leg. Digital coax would be rather inexpensive (use rg6) and I don't know of any problems running it that far. You should probably get a shielded cable for a run that long, but I think it should be fine.

DanielKee

Auditioning
So I'm going to shuck a buck either way I go. Just thought there would be less audio problems at that length with sub par cables than with the video cables.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You're probably right. It is probably more likely that the video signal would suffer from the long run than that the audio signal would suffer from the long run.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Daniel: I concur with your idea. Video runs are more expensive if you're using something like DVI, and more sensitive(than audio) if you're using analog, or such, and if you wanna go with a long run of video I strongly encourage you to use the best cable possible, like pro-grade canare/belden. This is what I did for a 30ft run of RGBhv. bluejeans is one of several great sources for this type of custom cable, and is not that expensive.

And if the audio you're talking about is digital out from the DVD player, this is very resiliant, use any 75ohm coax for that and you'll be good to go. Shorter video runs are preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks