What's new

Audio cables for rec to amp (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I just purchased an Earthquake Cinenova 3 channel amp and need some suggestions for audio cables. I like what bettercables.com and outlawaudio.com had to offer but were a little more than I wanted to pay. Blue jeans had some stuff in my price range but I dont much about them. Also, they dont have 3 channel cables, just 5,6, and 7. What they did have was digital audio cables but I dont know if that is appropriate to use. Everything I saw from Monster was a typical stereo audio cable with 2 prongs at each end, not what I am looking for.

Ideally I would like to keep the cost under $100 for 3 cables at about 6 feet each. Any ideas?

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Audio cables with RCA connectors. It will be going from receiver (using as pre/pro for front channels) to amp. I already have speakers cables that will go from amp to speakers.

Does anyone have any experience with blue jeans cables, these are the leading ones at the moment but was wondering if anyone uses them and thier impressions.

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
Ok RCA cables you can go buy RG6 cable and put on the connectors yourself if your comfortable with that or you can buy pre-made cables.

Separate route:
Belden or any Brand cable RG6
cable stripper/crimper
RCA crimp connectors

Pre-made route:
RCA cables premade by a company you tell them how long you want the cables and what connectors.

BlueJeans is good they use belden cable from what their site says.

You can buy bulk cable or cut to length cable at RadioShack or other equal type electronic supply store.

Jason

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
BJ's a reputable company and even I've got nothing bad to say about them...go figure, huh?

It's pretty easy to get decent interconnects. Why don't you read this
link and get a little more insight into these types of cables. It may help you make a more informed decision.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Thanks Chu, based on some of your other posts you are a great source of info.

I am considering the DIY path but my biggest question is whats the difference between RG6 and RG59. I know the RG59 is more flexible (which is slightly important to me) but thats it. Is RG59 ok to use over RG6? The Blue Jeans cable is RG59 but whenever I see DIY and cables mentioned people suggest RG6.

Let me check out that link you provided, maybe it will help clear things up.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The gauge is irrelevent. Flexibility though in my opinion, is desireable. Along those lines, all else being equal, thinner wire is more flexible and stranding improves that even further. In either case, you want the center conductor to be copper and not copper over steel. Silver doesn't do anything but it does give you bragging rights. In fact, you probably don't have to use coax. You could use twisted wires which you could make yourself or head on over to a competent car audio installation place and get some interconnects over there. So many good choices and none of them bad. If you're interested, I can dig up a link to Belden that lists various cables/applications and all that.

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Got the amp hooked up with some Radio Shack Gold Series for now. I am going to relocate it eventually so I just wanted to get it up and running. Then I will decide what do about cables since just about everything will have to be changed.

The amp is incredible, I am suprised at how much better everything sounds. My Denon 3803 was no slouch but pales in comparison. Tonight will be my the first movie, havent decided which one yet. For music, Dark Side of The Moon never sounded so good.

There is one problem, the center channel amp keeps blowing a fuse. I hooked up my center channel speaker back up to the 3803 and it works fine. I called Earthquake (on a Saturday and got someone to help:emoji_thumbsup: ) and will be sending new fuses. Chances are its the amp itself. Luckily I only have to send back that channel and not the whole 120 lb beast, this is a nice feature. At least I still can use my center speaker until the problem gets fixed. But like I said, the two channels that do work bring new life to my mains.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
no chance you had a stray wire problem going on was there? it's a ballsy amp for sure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks