What's new

Audio cable to new projector (1 Viewer)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered a new Panasonic AE900 projector. Will use it later on in the basement, but have not started on finishing it. Wanted to play around with the projector first. So in the mean time, I want a cheaper solution to go by to use in my current temporary spare room. I have two options, a long component cable or a long digital audio cable (coax).

I think I need something with 25+ feet. I assume this must be a normal thing people with projectors encounter. It also seems a coax cable for the audio would be cheaper, as I can move the DVD player to the back and re-use my current component cable. The plan is to later on in the basement probably use HDMI or similar, so I would need a new cable anyway (and right now I don't know the length I need as I have not designed the basement area yet).

So I just want a cheaper solution that would be reasonable good to go by for a few months until I setup the whole new system downstairs. Would something like this work fine? For example, Amazon, sells a "Belkin PureAV RF Coaxial Video Cable, 25 ft." for a good price. How does digital audio affect by cheaper long cables?

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Are you planning to use the Panny as your only source for video?

If not, you may want to take into consideration what your second display device will need and how it will be wired.

I would also suggest buying ALL the cables you think you will need and test your system as it will be finally configured.

Speaker cables, subwoofer cable, telephone line, network cable, OTA antenna cable, Satellite or Cable feed cable, power, 12v trigger cables, second display video and audio cables, etc.

I may have missed some but I think you get the idea. You may too if you do not mock everything up. Besides, how are you going to know where best to place your speakers and therefore the wiring without testing?

My best advice is plan, plan, plan.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering about a cable for now while planning the basement. Everything is working in my spare bedroom, where my current setup is. Just want to have the projector up and running there as well for now.

I have not even decided the size of the room in the basement yet. I would have lots of questions about the basement project that but that is another topic.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Bought the cable I suggested in the initial post and now I suddenly realized that I have been sleepwalking or something as this cable would not work. The end points won't fit the coax digital outputs properly. So sad :frowning:

Back to looking for other cables..

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Why? A digital coax connection is just an RCA plug. Any 75 Ohm RCA video cable will carry a digital coax signal with ease.

Edit: Ohhh, I see the cable was labled "coax", probably a screw type connector like a cable tv termination. Yup, you bought the wrong cable. Just go to Radio Shack and get a 25 ft. RCA video cable, it will do fine. Do not spend the money for a "digital coax" cable, there is no such thing. The digital coax spec calls for a 75 Ohm video cable.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
Ended up buying two adaptors at Radioshack (from video coax to RCA). So now I am using the cable I bought and it's working beautifully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks