What's new

AUDIO CABLE QUESTIOn (1 Viewer)

pcdoug

Auditioning
Real Name
doug mashburn
i have a comcast hd box that is run to my onkyo 606 with componet cable and the red and white rca cable. i cannot run hdmi due to my tv not compatible. If i change the rca audio out to optical cable will i get digital sound? and is there a difference than what i am getting now?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yes, you can run an optical digital cable to your receiver and you'll get digital sound, which is different than the two-channel analog sound you are currently getting. (On HD channels you'll often get full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Some shows, like Numbers on CBS, use really aggressive surround mixes. It also tends to be great for crowd noise in sports. And NASCAR, which I'm not really a fan of, can be mesmerizing when those brightly colored cars whip around the track in HD to the accompaniment of Dolby 5.1 doppler-shifting sound! :D)

Regards,

Joe

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, you will get digital sound and yes, there is a difference.

With optical you will get Dolby 5.1 when available. Now you are only getting stereo that is 'expanded' to 5.1 via the DSP (PLXII or similar) You will most likely need to turn this feature on in your cable box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks