Audio Cable as Video Cable

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CarlosGH, Jun 22, 2004.

1. CarlosGH

CarlosGH Stunt Coordinator

Would their be any degradation in video quality if I use a Monster 300 Audio Interlink cable as a video cable? I know that it has dual wiring inside, that breaks the signal into high range and low range audio frequencyl. I tried using it, but with an old NES, but I was going to use for a LD player where quality is an issue.

2. CarlosGH

CarlosGH Stunt Coordinator

Would their be any degradation in video quality if I use a Monster 300 Audio Interlink cable as a video cable? I know that it has dual wiring inside, that breaks the signal into high range and low range audio frequencyl. I tried using it, but with an old NES, but I was going to use for a LD player where quality is an issue.

3. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

A rule of thumb (as Ive heard it); good video cable can be used for audio, not the other way around.

Video requires higher bandwidth and better rfi shielding.

4. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

A rule of thumb (as Ive heard it); good video cable can be used for audio, not the other way around.

Video requires higher bandwidth and better rfi shielding.

5. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

after cutting apart my monster cables, they are identical cable the difference was the color codin on the ends

6. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

after cutting apart my monster cables, they are identical cable the difference was the color codin on the ends

7. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Those were not the 300 audio interlink.

8. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Those were not the 300 audio interlink.

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ok guys, here are the facts:

- All video interconnects must be made with something called "75 ohm" impedence coax.

- Audio interconnects can also be made with 75 ohm coax, but many of them are made with 50, 110 or 300 ohm coax.

Unless the outer jacket has writing, you cannot tell if a coax is 50/75/110/300 ohms even if you cut it apart. You have to go by the color-codes on the end.

Hope this helps.

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ok guys, here are the facts:

- All video interconnects must be made with something called "75 ohm" impedence coax.

- Audio interconnects can also be made with 75 ohm coax, but many of them are made with 50, 110 or 300 ohm coax.

Unless the outer jacket has writing, you cannot tell if a coax is 50/75/110/300 ohms even if you cut it apart. You have to go by the color-codes on the end.

Hope this helps.