Audio cabinet suggestions?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Yohan Pamudji, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

At the school where I work there is an A/V room that everybody and their brother have access to, so people borrow the DVD and VCR all the time, not bothering to hook it back up, or even worse they often try to hook them back up but end up bending pins on the S-Video connectors. In light of this I'm trying to find an A/V rack or cabinet with some kind of lockable mechanism to secure the equipment, while providing free access to the front panels of a VCR and a DVD player. So something like a solid door on the front of the cabinet wouldn't work, because people still need to be able to use the DVD and VCR as it's setup there, while there needs to be some security measure to ensure nobody unplugs and grabs said DVD and VCR. Does anybody know of anything like this cabinet I'm looking for?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Probably a job for a custom builder.

There is an alternative, though: Secure the components to the shelves. We used to do this when I was doing pro audio installations.

If you pull the top cover on a VCR or DVD player, you'll probably find a few places where the bottom of the chassis is visible – that is, places the main circuit board does not cover. What you could do is drill few holes in the bottom of the chassis (2-3 would be fine), then run screws down and through the shelf below. Put the cover back on and the security screws won’t be seen at all.

Of course, this may introduce a new set of problems:
    • If they’re tenacious they might just lift out the shelf and take the whole thing along with the DVD player or VCR. So then you’ll have to use “L” brackets to secure the shelf to the cabinet.
    • Some people might get ticked off that “their” players are not accessible anymore and deliberate vandalize the machines.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Well, I took preliminary measures and replaced all s-video connections with regular RCA coax. That will at least eliminate the bent pins problem. Considering that there doesn't seem to be an easy, ready-made solution for this "issue", it might be better to just leave things the way they are. At least now we won't be repurchasing s-video cables every time somebody carelessly bends s-video pins.