Audio Bit Rates

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SteveK, Jul 11, 2004.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Today, I setup my recently purchased Toshiba PVR/DVD recorder (RD-XS32). It offers a wide combination of video bit rates and three audio bit rates (all 2-channel). The audio bit rates are for Dolby Digital at 192 and 384 Kbps and PCM for uncompressed recording. I'm planning on using it to record a variety of movies (TCM, etc) and music (PBS, etc). I'm thinking that for most non-musical movies, the "M1" setting of 192Kbps would be sufficient, whereas I'll probably use the "M2" setting of 384Kbps for musicals. For concerts, where music is obviously the sole focus, I plan to use the "LPCM" setting and select a low enough video bit rate to accomodate it.

But I'm wondering what the normal audio bit rate is on pre-recorded DVDs. No, I'm not looking to dub prerecorded movies, but I'd like to maximize audio quality depending on the nature of the program being recorded, and I'm curious what the "normal" audio bit rate is on regular DVDs.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Steve K.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

With relatively few exceptions, DD 2.0 tracks on professionaly produced DVDs use 192kbps.

M.

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Thanks, Mike. It sounds like I can safely use 192 for most things, possibly using 384 for movies/music that I really like. My ears certainly aren't as discerning as they used to be (thanks to age and numerous ear surgeries), but I still want good quality recordings.

I'm going to have to experiment, but I'm beginning to wonder if there would be much of an audible advantage to using LPCM. I don't know how Dolby Digital compression compares to mp3, but I've read that mp3s at 256 are virtually indistinguishable from CD, and that almost nothing is gained by using the max 320 kbps bit rate. If the same is true of Dolby, then going to the even faster 384 kbps rate would be a waste of space (although the total recording time for 384 is not significantly lower than 192 kbps at the same video bitrate.

I'm definitely going to have to do some experimenting.

Thanks again for the reply.

Steve K.