Audio Authority 1154A WARNING!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tom Kud_, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Tom Kud_

Tom Kud_ Auditioning

I've enjoyed reading these forums for some time, and now feel the over-whelming need to contribute my 2-cents. I've been in need for a component video switcher, and after reading through Home Theater Forum, I decided on the Audio Authority 1154a--it had what I needed and was the right price. I purchased this box and was heartbroken when I learned that the 1154a won't pass the signal of my Cyberhome DVD player (it just looks black with a faint outline). I also discovered that there is an insane amount of white plumage when watching my Phillips DVD recorder. I called AA tech and they said it must be defective. I sent it back and got a fresh, new unit. And....of course, the same problem.

AA tech says it must be a compatibility issue. They also say that the switcher is only passive and the power is just for the auto-switching. The only thing I can figure is that maybe I have two components that just don't output a strong enough component video signal to handle a break. I did try different connections, etc. My receiver does fine with the same set-up. Oh well.

Well, I'm out of luck, and you've been warned...[​IMG]

2. ZachN

ZachN Auditioning

My 1154A has no problems. I have the following gear hooked up: Dish Network 811 HDTV receiver, ReplayTV 4055, Panasonic XP30, and an Xbox.

I'm pretty sure the 1154A uses the audio signal as the basis for switching, the video signal just comes along for the ride. At any rate, aren't the Cyberhome units really inexpensive, like $28 at Walmart? I bought 24 of them to use as audio players and 3 units wouldn't work. I would expect the guts to be cheap for $28.

3. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Same for me ZachN. I use the 1154A with consoles only - PS2, Gamecube and Xbox and they all come thru just fine. Nothing faint or flaky about them picture. Yeah, the switching is based on an audio signal be it optical or coax.

4. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

I just received that switcher for christmas today and it works perfect just like i wanted it to.

5. Tom Kud_

Tom Kud_ Auditioning

Well, glad others are good, but Audio Authority has confirmed that my DVD player has a non-standard output that is out of the input range of the 1154 A. You just can't make a device that works on everything. Maybe on the 1154 B...