What's new

Audio and Video settings- Tv or Dvd player? (1 Viewer)

NickScott

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I have a Denon DVD-5900, Sony 32HS500 TV, HK AVR-630, Paradigm 9seMK2 fronts, Wharfedale Modus center, Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 rears, and Energy Encore 8 sub.
Heres my question. For the dvd setting, should I adjust the video setting through my TV or through my DVD player? Also, for the Audio settings, should I use the DVD player or the receiver (L,cen,R,SL and SR volume adjustments, X-over, etc...)?
Next, I was testing my audio settings with the THX Optimizer and I was running the 200 - 20hz test, and I found that the 200-20hz test sounded better when I setup my speakers to 200hz. Even though they claim to go to 65hz.

Anyways, I hope that you guys can help me out here and give me some tips on setting up my system, so it will blow me away. Thanks for everything,

Scott.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
For video settings, use your TV, just make sure you enable the progressive scan on the DVD player. Also, within the DVD players video settings, make sure things like "flesh tone" are turned off. Be sure and use the component video from the TV to the DVD player. I'd suggest getting AVIA to calibrate your video settings (or some other video/audio setup disk).

For audio, you should have a digital cable (optical or coaxe) going from the DVD player into the receivers digital input. You should also connect the 6 analog RCA cables from the DVD player to your 6 channel input on receiver or prepro. You really need to read the manual. That should explain what you need to do. The cliff notes version---enable the bitstreams for DTS and Dolby Digital(in the DVD player)....there are also audio settings for SACD and DVD-A (like multi channel or stereo use) and probably seperate speaker size adjustments and distance as well.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You may find that optimizing the TV for the DVD player makes the picture not so good when you are using the VCR. Then the TV has to be re-adjusted to be a compromise and the DVD player settings will come in handy.

The gray scale tests on the AVIA or Video Essentials test DVD are very useful.

Also you need to be sure that you do not exceed thresholds. For example the DVD player black to white range might be 0 to 10 (it is not labeled for you to see) but might be regarded by the TV as minus 2 to plus 8 (it is not labeled for you) and furthermore the TV treats minus 2, minus 1 and zero as the same and all you see is that your shadow detail is lost. YOu have the choice of adjusting the DVD player to output from 2 to 12 (trial and error, no labels for you to see) so the TV thinks that it is now getting 0 to 10.

The same analogy applies to the sound. Use the adjustments on the DVD player so the volume is about the same when you switch between DVD and VCR. But more important, if the DVD player output level is too low, you have to crank up the TV volume and you may hear hiss. If the DVD player output level is too high, the sound could be distorted during louder passages even when the overall volume is low. These last adjustments are more critical for digital sound.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks