What's new

Audio and Video out of synch (1 Viewer)

I have a JVC dvd player 501-bk or something like that. It is a little older. I have it set up to output to my Marantz 5200 reciever via S-cable and optical for audio. Then reciever sends video to tv via S. I have noticed lately a couple of dvd's where the audio was looking like it was off from the video a little bit. It has come on DTS tracks, and if I stop the dvd player and start it again sometimes it appears to be better. Is this something wrong with the reciever or the dvd player or the actual dvd disc or the transfer?

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I had this problem when I used a Playstation 2 as a DVD player. With DTS tracks the audio and video would lose synch and it got worse the longer I let it go. The synch would reset once I stopped playing and then resumed. My guess is this is a player issue. With identical equipment all around except for a Sony DVD player instead of the PS2, I now have no DTS lipsynch problems.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Norman, some DVD players, particularly early models, have shown what is referred to a lip-synch problem, where the audio and video are not in synch, as you have observed. I had a second-generation Sony DVD player develop the problem a couple of years, and a firmware upgrade from Sony cleared up the problem. It is possible that JVC has a similar firmware upgrade available for your player, but seeing as it is an older model and the warranty has probably expired, it probably isn't worth pursuing. You should be able to find a better player than your JVC now for less than what your JVC cost.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
What movies were you watching? Moulin Rouge has this problem inherent to the disk itself when watching the DTS signal. But I too have an earlier generation Sony that has this problem as well for some other disks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks