Audio and Video out of sync

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by richardE, Feb 2, 2006.

1. richardE

richardE Auditioning

I recently had my satellite receiver/dish upgraded to HD to match the HD TV we got a few months ago. It was a long, frustrating, process, but it's done. Except that now when I watch the LOCAL channels (still via the dish) and the broadcast is HD, like ABC or NBC , the sound and video are way out of sync. If I watch the same channel via the non HD channel on the satellite guide, it's OK, but not HD of course. If I'm watching a non HD brodcast on the HD channel, it's OK.

In other words I can't get an HD picture without getting way out of sync audio.

I have found that the audio setting on my AVR (like pro audio, surround, theater, Dolby, vmax etc) affects this a lot, but non of the audio options gets it even close to right. I don't know why I have two version of the same channel in my dish guide, the non HD and the LOCAL HD one, and I don't know why the audio and the video get so far out of sync.
    I suspect the audio and the video are being processed differently by my AVR ? Any help, even just a starting point to do more trouble shooting would be much appreciated.

Hopelessly out of sync ;
    RE

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Richard. Welcome to HTF!

I'm afraid this is a known problem with some of the Dish Network HD recievers. I am told that doing a reset or power-cycle of the sat reciever tends to solve the problem for a few days, then you simply repeat when it happens again.

Give that a shot and if it does not work, call the sat company and get a replacement unit.

True story: I had one PVR develop issues. Since it was leased, they sent me a replacement. I had to go through 2 replacements until I got a stable unit. And this was on a non-HD unit.

So it happens. Try the power cycle trick, reset trick and get a replacement if needed.

3. richardE

richardE Auditioning

Thanks Bob !
    It's driving me crazy (short trip for sure).
    I'll give it a try. Found out last night it's ok if I turn off all audio logic and go with "Surround Off", any other option and it gets varing degress of delay.

When I got the receiver I was told it was a brand new unit and I was one of the first to get one. When I was talking to one of dish network folks about a different problem I was told I could not have this model because it was not even supported by the advanced products group yet.

Can you say Guinea-pig ?

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

On one hand - you are on the "bleeding edge" of the new HD recievers. That is a 2-edged sword.

If it is any consolation, there are people here at HTF that would love to get their hands on the new equipment.

Here is an idea - check out all the features of the new HD reciever and write up a short review. Put it in the "Audio Video Sources" fourm.

Your experiences & impressions could help save a fellow HTF member from the same problems.