Audio and Video Cables-Do They Mix?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by RickRO, Jan 15, 2006.

1. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

I have been doing a lot of searching and reading around here and have tried searching for the answer. As of right now I basically have two questions (for now)

1) I am converting part of an unfinished basement into a HT. I am planning on running conduit for all my cables. Can you run both video and speaker cable in the same conduit and not have interference? I know that video cables (coax) is shielded and figured that this would not be problematic but wanted to know "from the experts" if I am on the right track.

2) My unfinished room is about 13x18x7'10" and most likely will be finished with a wood sub floor carpet and of course wall finishings. I have been reading about stages. How important are stages and are they worth the extra construction. Or is carpet over concrete sufficient?

So you have an idea on what my home theater will consist of I have been eying the 61" JVC HD-ILA, Yamaha RX-V2600 and the SVS 7.1 system.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

We routinely run video and (a) line level, (b) amplified audio, and (c) 70v amplified audio through several thousand feet of the same conduit. (Often with a 12vAC pilot signal, too.) They won't interfere.

Leo

3. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Thats good to know. I figured that running the two would not be a problem, better to be safe than sorry.

Another question.....Is PVC pipe ok to use as conduit vs. the metal flexible type. I have worked with PVC in the past and am comfortable working with it and since my basement is just framed is still relatively easy to run any type so is it just preference or is there a difference?

Thanks

4. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Leo is correct in that they will not interfere, (use good video cable) PVC won't be a technical problem, but some local electrical codes don't allow it's use. You may want to check that out.

5. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Thanks,

I'm planning on using diy cables (my first attempt) so we will see how that goes and the ones I can't make (HDMI, S-video) I plan on getting from Blue Jeans so quality wont be a problem. Should have thought bout the code issue, I'll look into that.

Anybody got info on stages? Recommendations and such?

6. chris_everett

A stage isn't critical, but it's a nice feature, and can provide a place to run wires in and the like. That's what I use mine for (I have equipment racks on either side) If the rest of your floor is carpet on concrete, it won't provide any accoustical benefit to put your sub on a stage. I built a wood sub-floor on top of the concrete, and put my sub (SVS) on top of that.

7. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Chris I was thinking about a stage after reading some threads here. I also had planned on putting down 3/8 OSB over the concrete then pad/carpet. Doing that makes the floor feel better to me sounds strange maybe but I just like the "feel" of that better.

I was thinking exactly that

I was thinking 2x4 or 2x6 construction the width of my room 13 or so feet approximately 2 feet wide.

Just when I thought I had all the decisions just about made....I was looking at the 61" JVC 1080 HD-ILA.....I have started reading about projectors.......Love this HT adventure I'm embarking on....but decisions.....decisions....decisions.......Hmmmm next maybe some stadium seating and a popcorn machine and a candy coun...... [​IMG]

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    There’s no good reason to run conduit in most residential installations, unless you want to insure future access to run additional cabling later.

If that’s the case, you have to be careful how you run the conduit. Basically, you won’t be able to pull additional cables later if you have more than one 90 in the conduit run. If there is more than one, you’ll have to have access points for them

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,

Thanks. I might have to rethink the conduit....there is NO WAY with my planned setup that I would be able to get away with just one 90. There would be several.

Maybe I'll forgo the conduit and just run an extra set of everything that I might need speaker cables especially and maybe I'll have it covered that way.

Or I could do a suspended ceiling in the basement vs. drywall. would make the cable management a lot easier.

Thanks to all that have posted.

10. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I would run a conduit to TV/projector locations, but no where else. Wire is cheap enough that I would just run more than you think you need. Run cat5 to just about everything....more and more products are networked, or you can use it to run A/V signals on.

11. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    If you have a dedicated room and you are going to be watching mostly movies then I would go with a front projection and screen combo. If you are going to be watching mostly TV on it then the JVC will do the trick.

Many people have a combination of the two with the movie screen dedicated to movies (which in my opinion in a dedicated room is the only way to go) and the RPTV for watching regular TV shows, etc. The screen would pull down over the RPTV. Hi Def looks great on a front projection and with everything going that way you might want to consider the front projection from the git go. The JVC is a nice unit but nothing is going to give you the same impact as front projection.

The stages are good for a couple of areas. If you plan on having more than one row of seats then building a stage to put the other rows on is a good idea. Some people also build a stage in front of the projection screen that they can set their mains on.

I had a hardwood (laminate) over my concrete floors and it worked out great.

If you have the room a drop ceiling gives you a lot of options with regards to wiring. It also gives you option to upgrade in the future with any additional wiring you have to do.

Look at our Galleries page to get some ideas of what some of our members have used in their own system.

Parker

12. chris_everett

I think conduit to the projector is a must. (How many people on this forum got burned by Component/DVI/HDMI?) While only going through one 90 degree turn is recommended, you _can_ go through up to 360 degree's of turns if you must. (As long as they have a "sweep" bend) But access makes it _much_ easier. If you have a central "hub" in your house with phone lines,network,cable, etc. I would also put in a conduit to it. Other than that, conduits become optional. You may want to consider conduit from the front of your room to your seating as well, to give a place for a hardwired remote, or for game controllers and the like.

13. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Guys,

I have been doing some re-thinking and I think that after several bleary-eyed hours on the net I'll probably go with front projection with a smaller dedicated TV at a later date.

For my setup i believe that it will give me the most options as far as room setup. The best thing about FP is that I will be able to mount the projector near the ceiling and only about a foot and a half away from the wall where all my components will be and the best part is that the rear of my component rack will come out into an unfinished storage area and everything will be accessible including the rear of the projector thru a "cheater hole". Which will make things a whole lot easier.

Still new to this HT thing understand basically the networking thing have a wireless network here at the house but that is the limit of my experience. Are you suggesting running cat5 to basically everything or just the TV/FP locations and the component racks?