audible hiss

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ericanthonE, Apr 14, 2004.

1. ericanthonE

ericanthonE Stunt Coordinator

hi, i just received my new speaker system today. I have noticed an apparent 'hiss' with them. I think that it is coming out of my NAD T773. When i mute the volume on the NAD(to no db), the hiss goes away. If i have the volume turned the whole way down, and i upstep it just one step to say the volume position 73, i can then hear the hiss. It is the same volume level all through the volume range. It is just annoying whenever i try to listen at low volume levels, for the hiss is almost as apparent as the music.

What is the problem? Is this fixable without having to get say another different receiver, or a better one? Would a power conditioner fix this, thanks

Eric

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Is this hiss (not a buzz or a hum I assume) consistent regardless of what program source is being played?

3. ericanthonE

yes, it is consistent. And what is weird is, if i pause the cd player, it will hiss for a few seconds, and then the hissing stops. So i thought it was the cd player. I then used the tuner, and you could hear the slight hiss over the voices(the hiss is the same level throughout all of the listening volume positions)

I just turned on the amplifier this morning, to the hiss. I then turned on the CD player(before playing any CD's, and the hiss stopped. There is no hiss whenever i turn on the CD player initially, but whenever i start to play a track, the hiss will start again! The hiss will stop again if i hit pause on the CD player, or if i shuffle between tracks for a few seconds, then it will start up again whenever the song is playing

Soo weird...
    This is why i am all confused

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Is the CD player connected via analog or digital?

Assuming a digital connection, it seems like the hiss starts once the NAD gets signal lock. Is that right?

I would be curious if you get his with an analog as well as a digital connection.

Are you listening in Stereo mode or do you have Pro Logic or any other non-stereo mode selected?

A couple other thoughts. How is the volume knob scaled on the 773? I have a 762, and it is scaled from -60 to +18 or so. Just wondering where 73 is on the scale, and also, what are the individual channel trims set to.

Previous generation NADs did have some reports of hiss. My 762 is dead quiet unless I stick my ear to the tweeter.

BGL

5. ericanthonE

it is connected via. digital optic.(cheap radio shack though).

The trim on the volume goes from 74- -12 if everything is set at 0db on your speaker control settings(negative is dependant on settings). I have EVERYTHING set to 0db(including treble and bass settings) The hiss definitely appears on ALL of the modes. I JUST got my def tech speakers, YESTERDAY, and they need broken in still. Before i just got these. I had only 2 BP2006TL's hooked up to them by def tech(dealer let me use mine until mine came in. I head less of a hiss with them than i do now. I mean, it is a slight hiss, but my speakers are REALLY large in a small room, but it is still annoying a little bit. I have...

2 BP7002TL
    4 BPX
    1 CLR 2500
    Pioneer Elite 301 Disc CD player
    NAD T773
    ..cheap rca DVD player

I should probably be connecting the CD player via. analog, shouldn't I? For it does have REALLY nice audio in it, and if you digital optic it, i think that it would not use the potentiality the CD player, correct?

I am going to circuit city and buying a power conditioner right now, and see if that works. I think that, it will probably not make a difference though, but it's worth a try. I have everything hooked up right now to a cheapo power strip. I can live with the hiss, but it would be nice if i didn't have it, being that it does suck for the money i have in this.

I am about 6 feet away from the front speakers(where the hiss is apparant at softer listening levels.

Thanks in advance again...

~Eric

6. ericanthonE

and yes, i do believe that it would appear so that it hiss's with signal lock. I don't believe it to be a hum(which is a major fault)

The hiss appears with the tuner, CD player also(the hiss disappears between tracks if a signal is not being produced...so to speak

Thanks again...

Eric

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I would agree that a power conditioner is not likely to help.

I don't know which of the CD connections would produce superior sound. The thing with my NAD 762 is that, when connected digitally, it chops the first second or so of each track. A real PITA, and thus I connect via analog for CD sources. That a common issue with many receivers, but it is annoying.

The 773 may have solved that problem, but if it did not, then I would probably go analog for that reason alone.

The good news is that, given this is a 773, it is surely still under warranty. If it is in fact a fault with the unit, I expect your NAD dealer, or NAD directly will work with you to resolve the matter.

BGL

8. ericanthonE

so you think that this is a problem that should not be happening then? I was told that a lot of amplifiers just have a hiss to them, that is why i was not sure whether or not i should hear that or not. I am a newbe

Eric

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Amps don't normally hiss, or at least they should not, nor should anything else in the signal path. Then again, it is not uncommon. Its really a question of how much.

If you are hearing this from the listening position, and the volume knob is NOT cranked to an absurd level, I would wager there is an issue that should be dealt with.

Now, I would also say that most gear, if you press our ear to the tweeter, will be emitting a wee bit of hiss, but its completely inaudible at the listening position.

And, if you literally cranked you volume knob to the maximum setting, you may hear something there as well, but, under normal conditions, this should not be something you should hear at your prime listening spot.

I did have hiss problems once with a Sony outboard DD decoder. It was noisy, and at reference level, the hiss could be heard from my prime chair. But, at anything below reference level, it was acceptable.

If you have a local NAD dealer, I would ask him what he thinks. Failing that, NAD are good about responding to
    e-mail. I also have a decent relationship with my local NAD dealer. If you want, he has his own web forum where you could post a question.

http://forum.adnm.com/

BGL

10. ericanthonE

yeah, it is a hiss that is very audible with even the volume at the 72db position. It seems to be the same level throughout the range

11. ericanthonE

NAD is VERY nice about everything. I have already talked to my dealer and he said he would have customer support call me tommorrow. He also asked what kind of speakers that i had, and he said that if it was klipsch with sensitivity of 92-94 db's that it was normal, otherwise it was not.

12. ericanthonE

the hiss does NOT occur in stereo modes, only in the advanced modes such as advanced stereo, etc.

13. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Ahhh, well that's a clue.

At least in my 762, Stereo is a true analog bypass (although it does allow tone controls and bass management in the analog domain).

So, if it only hisses when one of the DSP modes is selected, that would narrow it down a bit.

BGL

14. ericanthonE

so what do you think the problem is? I feel terrible about it, i really do. I bought it off of yawaonline, and he practically gave the thing to me, and i don't want to have to see him go through all of this trouble for me

I get confused about analog and digital signals. I mean i know about component, composite, s-video..yada, yada,yada...

But i don't understand how analog signals bypass the amplifier? Is that what happens? I have a pioneer elite dvd player, with all the fancy legato link conversion. i had it hooked up with digital optic. Is this the way to go? From what i'm hearing, i should use an analog interconnects that way i can get the optimal sound out of what that dvd can produce? But then again, i have a nice amplifier, so i'm not sure. Things like that confuse me. I just want to throw up at the prices of monster cables.

15. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Eric, two things:

(1) If your receiver has an analog bypass, that means that it bypasses any kind of decoding, bass managament, etc., and it just sends the signal right through. It doesn't bypass amplification.

(2) Don't throw up at the price of Monster cables; I don't think Monster is going to help your hiss problem.

Do you know how sensitive your speakers are?

16. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

This is not a cable issue. Trust me on that one!

I am not a "cables matter" kind of guy, but even if I was, I would still say this is not a cable issue.

What needs to happen here is for you to try to hook up with other 773 owners, and get a feel for whether or not they are hearing hiss as well. I will ping my local dealer and ask if he is getting any feedback from his 773 customers.

And I am not sure I buy into the "your speakers are too sensitive" stuff. All that means is that it takes less power for a given SPL.

Now, a speaker with a bright treble may be a concern, but the bottom line is that if you are hearing hiss at your listening position, then something is not right.

BGL

17. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Brian, good point about speaker sensitivity. I guess that would only be an issue if he had the volume cranked, which it sounds like he doesn't.

18. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I did start a thread over at my local NAD dealers site. Will see what they have to say.

BGL

19. ericanthonE

They are Definitive Tech's with sensitivity of 92db

the c/l/r is 91 db
    the bpx's are 90db

I have all of the treble and bass and speaker settings at 0 because i thought that could be an issue effecting. It turned out it was not.

My dealer said that if they were klipsch rated at 92-94 db then the hiss was normal, otherwise it should not be there. He has already called me back about it(yawaonline)

It was late last night, i called him today, and i'm sure that he will get back to me. I will let you know what he says. I think that the def tech's should sound more natural from what i can gather, so NO, i don't think that the hiss should be there...

I will keep you posted

Yeah, i tried monster cables before(replaced them with my radio shack optics) and i could not notice the difference, so i took them back.

20. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Sporadic hiss issues with the NAD receivers has been reported before, both on the web and on usenet. While I'm not aware of what specifically caused the problem the remedy has been replacement of the unit under warranty.